Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hi everyone,

In the past year I've gotten into luxury watches and have built up a small collection without really meaning to. I started with a Speedmaster 57 before moving to the far more cost-effective Breitling Navitimer Heritage and then the Navitimer World.

The Navitimer World (A24322) is the subject of this question. I'll be honest: I started fiddling with the time and date at around 11pm one night before realising what I was doing. Now the date changes at around 10.30pm at night instead of midnight, but otherwise everything is working fine and there have certainly been no timekeeping problems.

I phoned my closest authorised Breitling dealer and they quoted £800 (I'm in the UK) for a full service. My question is this: can I get away with not having the watch serviced right now or is the early date change a problem that needs to be fixed as quickly as possible?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:15 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
At a guess I'd say you've probably either caused the date wheel mechanism to jump a few teeth on one of the cogs, or a couple of the teeth have been stripped which can happen as the date mechanism is quite delicate as it's never under much force. If it's the former, then I'd say you could probably get away with leaving it until service time. However if it's the latter, then you'll potentially have a couple of very tiny pieces of metal moving about inside the movement that could certainly do more damage.

On balance I'd say get it fixed now if funds allow.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:30 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Thanks, I'm dropping it off with the jeweller tomorrow for a service. I figured it could use a polishing anyway and the bezel was fairly gummed up.