Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:22 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello,

I recently purchased my first Breitling and am absolutely in love with it. I took a trip to Puerto Rico and did not want to bring the watch with me so I left it home and as a result it stopped (automatic). It died between 8 pm and 3 am so therefore the date should not be adjusted as well as moving the time backwards (first automatic watch I’ve seen this.. usually it is just date adjustment that should be highly avoided). Anyway, I went to move the time forward manually to get out of the danger zone and accidentally I moved the time backwards about 15 minutes with one turn before I realized and switched back to moving it forward. I didn’t hear any damage done and I didn’t force anything on the crown so I am unsure if there was any damage. Has anybody had any experience with such a thing? How would I know if there is any damage? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Welcome aboard. To be honest, as you say it's a Colt (and I'm assuming that it's not the chronograph version?) it will be running Breitling's version of the ETA 2824, so you've almost certainly escaped without doing any damage at all. I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading some years ago that it's only certain movements (like the 7750 for example) that risks damage to the date mechanism by turning the hands backwards during the 8pm-3am danger zone - something to do with a lever in the mechanism that becomes fixed during the date change routine and can therefore break if you move the hands backwards, but the 2824 has a set-up that prevents this from happening. That said, I personally only ever move the hands in the direction they are intended to go, irrespective of the movement.

If I was you I'd just keep an eye on it (especially the date wheel) over the next month as any damage to any part of the date change mechanism will show itself either via a misaligned date wheel in the window, or by simply not changing. Personally though I think you'll be absolutely fine.

Site Moderator