Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stem Problem
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:55 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I have a Breitling Colt men's watch that was given to me when I retired eight years ago. For the past few years it has been losing a few minutes so I periodically reset the time. This past week I attempted to unscrew the stem and it would not move. Since it is well out of warranty, I took it to an independent jeweler that I trust and he said the stem is essentially froze up and will not move. I did not drop or hit this watch so I really don't know what happened. My jeweler also informed me that the Colt movement is generic and not a genuine Breitling movement. This is very disappointing. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I really don't want to send it to Breitling as I cannot afford a $1000 repair bill. Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: Stem Problem
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:51 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your problem. The Breitling Colt movement is a modified generic movement but modified to a high standard. It is a mechanical watch and will need servicing from time to time. As yours is eight years old it will need a full overhaul. Parts do wear out and oils dry up. You may have an accumulation of dust or grit that has jammed the stem. You have two choices, pay Breitling to do the correct work with a year’s warranty or entrust it to an unauthorised mender who has no access to the genuine parts (Breitling won’t supply parts) with the associated risk of problems further down the line. It’s a tough call but if the watch has sentimental value then it may be worth that investment. Breitling will do a good job and it will look almost as new when you get it back.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:26 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks Zak for the reply. I guess my disappointment was in the fact that Breitling put a generic movement in a very expensive watch. I realize now that the Colt series is an entry level Breitling but at the time I really did not want my company to spend any more money. Do you have any idea what a complete overhaul on my watch may cost?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:57 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Prices can be found on the Breitling website, in the UK the cost is around 415GBP. I guess you are in the US. When you send your watch in they will send an estimate of the costs for you to consider. Let us know how you get on.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE