Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling UTC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:59 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hi, I recently bought a Chronomat B13048 with a 81500 UTC both are in good working condition but the UTC is functioning as a standard 12 hour watch but the dial is a 24 hour dial. Can anyone give any comment or advice on why this is.

trymph likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: Breitling UTC
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
The cosmic forces must be active today. Just yesterday I think I discovered your answer in my own search for a grey dial UTC to mate to my F56061 grey Aerospace. This is to be a bday gift to myself on the 25th anniversary of my original 40th bday gifted Aerospace.

I always thought the 24hr dial was just a means for those of us that cant convert military time to conventional. But my watchmaker and your post seems to have confirmed that the 24hr function must actually be just that. Is it true the behavior of a 24hr dialed UTC operates so that for instance 12:00 PM shows as what would be 6:00 on a convention 12hr dial <eg hour hand on the 6 position and minute hand on the 12 position>?

My watchmaker just yesterday informed me that the Rhona732(1032) I bought for $18.95 would not work on my broken grey dial 81500 UTC w/satin finished case. Here is what Breitling wrote back to my BUSA inquiry for that type of swap:

Good Afternoon,
Regretfully we would be unable to take the movement from the 12 hour UTC and install it in a 24 UTC. It is also strict Breitling policy that parts are not returned. This helps prevent counterfeit or “frankenstein” watches from being produced using authentic Breitling parts.

So in a sense you are testament to the issues that can arise without Breitling's standards and the benefit to us all for keeping our Breitlings valuable!!

That being said<g> I'm still hell bent on getting my UTC to match my F56061 Aerospace.....and rather like the custom combo for personal use with a gold bezel quarter hour incrementing and 24hr grey dial in a satin finish case. I will be parting out my leftovers with full disclosure!!

To those learned forum residents... question on the Ronda732(1032) quartz movement. Of the three types below....which works in a conventional 12hr Breitling UTC with respect to height?

MOVMENT RONDA 732/1032 2 HANDS FAR EAST HOUR WHEEL HEIGHT 1.03MM TOTAL HEIGHT 3.20MM

MOVMENT RONDA 732/1032 HCP2 HOUR WHEEL HEIGHT 1.33MM TOTAL HEIGHT 3.50MM

MOVMENT RONDA 732/1032 HCP3 HOUR WHEEL HEIGHT 1.73MM TOTAL HEIGHT 4.00MM

Unfortunately I bought the top one above BEFORE I learned there is a difference between the 3 types of this quartz movement. My watchmaker was not very enthusiatic toward my proposal and gave it back to me before i got a chance to get measurments on the the movement and the hands (btw gold hands can be had from the Ronda suppliers for <$10 bucks but require trimming which my watchmaker was also reluctant to try>

Any info on those measurments would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps someone could add to this thread the particulars on a replacement 24hr quartz movement also...At my age I am more concerned about wearing my custom mod Aerospace than its legacy value<g>.......I just wish I had stepped up to the plate and held out for a F61172grey dialed 12hr in the first place now that I realize the market price is set with Adam Smith's invisible hand at work!!

Hope that solves your mystery Canton
Regards all
Egor

Canton likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:59 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you for the update and explanation, much appreciated.

It would appear that someone must have swapped out the 24 hour movement for a 12 hour movement in the past.

If anyone has a Breitling UTC which is functioning on a 24 hour basis please let me know as I can find no information on this subject and it would b useful to know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Probably.....was i correct with my understanding of how 24hr UTC functions? <eg hour hand reflects time on 24hr basis>....@noon hour hand in 6:00 position?

Also it seems a 24hr movement is same as 12hr but with extra gears to recalibrate positoning of hour&minute hands.....there was a reply i read saying that old movement gears from 24hr UTC may be still good enough to use on a fresh ronda movement.....sorry but i dont recall what thread i saw it in....i too have been doing alot of forum serfing....

Canton likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:28 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I think your understanding is correct in asmuch as I think the 24 hour version takes 24 hours to rotate round the dial. However I cant confirm that as the UTC I have has a 24 hour dial but takes 12 hours to go round the dial. My assumption is that the movement went faulty sometime in the past and was replaced with a 12 hour as 24 hour movements were no longer available.
I have looked on the Ronda site and can see no replacement UTC 24 hr movements
If anyone knows if replacement 24 hour movements are available anywhere please let me know.