The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
i am looking at buying a 1995 chronomat. I have seen the watch and it does come with box and the papers are stamped by a dealer. I asked the seller to send me any id numbers and he has given me ID NUMBER 1110585903 PURCHASED 1995.

Can anyone help. Many thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
That looks a little long to be a serial number, but then I'm not an expert on pre-96 stuff.

The best way for us to assist you is for you to get some decent pictures from the vendor and post them on here.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Driver8 wrote:
That looks a little long to be a serial number, but then I'm not an expert on pre-96 stuff.

The best way for us to assist you is for you to get some decent pictures from the vendor and post them on here.

Agreed, there's no logic to serials post 1978, but I think that they are still a maximum of seven charatcers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:06 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I am also in a similar position to the author. I am looking at buying a second hand Breitling SuperOcean. The seller informs me where this was purchased and sent me a piture of the certificate.

On the certificate are the Montre No: 2248704 and what looks like a brail printed number in the top left; 0073655396.

Is there anyway I can double check this with Breitling as to whether it is from a genuine sale? i.e. check the serial number against the dealer in which sold the watch?

Thanks in advance.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Quinny1999 wrote:
I am also in a similar position to the author. I am looking at buying a second hand Breitling SuperOcean. The seller informs me where this was purchased and sent me a piture of the certificate.

On the certificate are the Montre No: 2248704 and what looks like a brail printed number in the top left; 0073655396.

Is there anyway I can double check this with Breitling as to whether it is from a genuine sale? i.e. check the serial number against the dealer in which sold the watch?

Thanks in advance.

[/img]

Breitling no longer answer these questions for consumers, but they will for ADs. An AD can contact Breitling who can confirm that the 22..... serial is correct, which model it belongs to and where it was first sold.

Of course if you post some pictures the fake experts here can also help authenticate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Quinny1999 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

[/img]

Not really. The only thing to ensure is that the serial number - in this case the 2248704 matches what's on the back of the watch. The punched number (0073655396) is the certificate number and doesn't appear to be stored anywhere by Breitling. The only check you can do with Breitling themselves (certainly this is true for Breilting UK anyway) is ask them about the serial number but they will only have a record of it if the watch has ever been in for a service.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:05 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the response Roffensian. The problem is that the pictures of the watch are poor so I was hoping to get some validation from the serial number.

I will see if the seller can send any clearer pictures, the camera is very poor and the pictures are blurred.

Thanks again,
Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:11 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Ah right, thanks driver8. Guess the certificates can be produced with serial numbers that match what is on the back of the watch, can be that hard can it?

The only sure way to know is to have the watch sent back to Breitling for a service or replacement documents and then they will inform me if something doesn't match up or if it is fake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Quinny1999 wrote:
Ah right, thanks driver8. Guess the certificates can be produced with serial numbers that match what is on the back of the watch, can be that hard can it?

The only sure way to know is to have the watch sent back to Breitling for a service or replacement documents and then they will inform me if something doesn't match up or if it is fake.

That's the only way to be 100% sure, but to be honest I have NEVER come across a fake watch complete with fake papers with matching numbers. I agree that fake papers must be infinitely easier to produce that an entire fake watch, but the faking-scum out there never seem to bother. Most of the time the type of individual who would buy a fake watch just wants to show off their watch on their wrist to try and be something they're not. The box and paperwork is of no consquence to them - hence I guess there's not historically been a market for fake papers with the watches. However, times are definitely changing, and some of the Asian made fakes are so good they could fool the pros so I bet it's only a matter of time before fake papers start appearing too. But for now I've never seen a fake watch with fake papers with matching numbers.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Driver8 wrote:
Quinny1999 wrote:

That's the only way to be 100% sure, but to be honest I have NEVER come across a fake watch complete with fake papers with matching numbers. I agree that fake papers must be infinitely easier to produce that an entire fake watch, but the faking-scum out there never seem to bother. Most of the time the type of individual who would buy a fake watch just wants to show off their watch on their wrist to try and be something they're not. The box and paperwork is of no consquence to them - hence I guess there's not historically been a market for fake papers with the watches. However, times are definitely changing, and some of the Asian made fakes are so good they could fool the pros so I bet it's only a matter of time before fake papers start appearing too. But for now I've never seen a fake watch with fake papers with matching numbers.

Thanks, I understand what you are saying. I will see how much it goes up to, it is on Ebay and is currently £1200 which is a fair price for a SuperOcean but the reserve hasn't been met so it will have to go for more. Anything over £1450 and I don't see the point, may as well get a new one for £2000 ish after discounts.

Good comments though hopefully someone else will find these useful as well.