It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First Ling, Cockpit?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:32 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hello everyone (:

I'll get straight to it; I'm 16, soon 17 years old, and for my 17th birthday I have arranged with my parents that they'll be paying ½ a watch for me, now, by that time I should have about 3000$, meaning 6000$ available, which allows me to choose from (alittle bit too wide) range of watches..

As I alerady have an Omega dress watch, I'm looking for something alittle more stabile & masculine, which lead me to Breitling (as they by far has the best looking watches :wink: ). Anyways, I was thinking of maybe buying one of their new cockpit models (I also thought of maybe a Blackbird, but the thing is I fear it might be alittle too big for my wrist :oops: ). Anyways, it's a hell of alot of money for someone in my age, and I havent been able to find that much information about the Cockpits +'s and -'s.. Hopefully there's someone in here willing & capable of guiding me to the right choice?

Thanks alot in advance! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:19 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Welcome aboard!

I can't help you with specific info about the Cockpit other than to say it's a handsome looking piece and as it has the Breilting logo on it, it's bound to be great! :wink: In all seriousness, there is no such thing as a bad Breitling IMHO, so it really comes down to what you like the best.

The only thing I would recommend is make sure you try on whatever watch you are considering and make sure you give yourself a few minutes wearing it in the shop. Some watches initially appear huge, but after a couple of mins the size becomes "normal". If size is the only thing putting you off the Blackbird then I'd definitely suggest trying it again as it less than 3mm larger than the Cockpit, and without being remotely "ageist", you may very well grow into the Blackbird a little more.

Either way, as a present from your parents (and an expensive one at that) you don't want to make a "mistake" with the Breitling model you choose, so it pays to spend a bit of time over the decision.

As watches are all very personal things, I won't give you my opinion on which I think you should choose, so I will just limited myself to saying make sure you choose the one YOU like the most. YOUR opinion is the only thing that counts at the end of the day. The good news though is that you can't go wrong with any Breitling, so that should free you to make a decision based entirely on which one you like the most.

Good luck!

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
The cockpit is an amazing, and I think underappreciated watch. Toi my mind it is one of the most versatile watches in the fleet - looks equally at home with a suit or jeans.

Mine is the black, slate grey is also extremely attractive - they have great depth to the dial. The watch is practical, has great lume and is a reasonable size at 42mm - I'm assuming at 17 that you still have some bulking out to do :wink:

The model was given a makeover this year, but ADs will likely still have examples of the old and new style - it's only the face that's changed. Personally I prefer the 2007 and earlier version, but take a look at both and decide for yourself.

I personally think that it looks best on the bracelet, but it has a very different look with a strap so try those combos too.

Good luck, and while I agree that it's a lot of money for a 17 year old (heck it's a lot of money for all of us) it's a watch that can last you a lifetime with the right care and attention - and that's the kind of gift that you can't put a monetary value on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Roffensian wrote:
size at 42mm

41mm :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

bnewbie wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
size at 42mm

41mm :wink:

Oops yes - sorry - slip of the brain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Wow, so young but with such great taste! :) To tell you the truth I'm a bit jealous.

That said, welcome aboard. You're bound to be pretty active, have you looked into the Aeromarine line? Avenger Skyland, Chrono Superocean, Chrono Colt etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

First of all, thanks alot for the fast replies - tells me that this website doesn't only contain nice watches ( :wink: ).

As a matter of fact I have had a look at the Avenger Skyland "Blacksteel", and ofcause all of the others aswell.. The thing is, I think I'm in love with the Roman(XI etc) and just "dottish" hour indicators - or just kinda dislike the normal numberal ones (1,2,3 etc), which mainly has made me look at the Chronomats, apart from the Blackbird and Cockpit ofcause..

Regarding the size part, yeah, you might be right.. but still, as I already pretty much have the largest wrists in my family (we're quite small xD), I'm alittle bit afraid of buying something as as brilliant as a Ling, that I would be bound to wear despite the oversize - As you probably know already, you don't just throw out a Ling nor replace it with anything else then another :) - which I believe would be empty my child savings account when I get to that point xD..

but I'll take your advice and visit (again) my AD and try wearing them alittle bit more - I'll keep you updated :P

And once again thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:59 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

hm...for 6k retail price I woudl go with the chronomat..GREAT details and the size is 43mm!

Breitling for Bentley GMT Midnight Carbon Black Steel LE 1000
Hublot Big Bang Aero Bang Steel
"You gotta pay to play..."
:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:38 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I'm still thinking about it (: as you're right, no doubt about that. They are all amazing watches!.. Still, as there is still small 2 months till my birthday, I'm not in too much of a hurry :)

- I would still love to hear some feedback on the Cockpit tho - prehaps from someone that owns one? :) - This ain't because I only care about that one, its just because that's the only one I cant seem to find loads of info and opinions on :roll: ..

But as i wrote earlier, I'll go visit my AD when my education allows it, and then I'll go through it all again :)

By the way, how long does a bracelet last? - and I assume that if it should break (as my mom's rolex did at some point), its possible to just buy a replacement for the broken link?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
hvnen wrote:
By the way, how long does a bracelet last? - and I assume that if it should break (as my mom's rolex did at some point), its possible to just buy a replacement for the broken link?

Breitling makes HQ bracelets which can last a lifetime.
You can't buy just a link from an AD, only a whole bracelet.
This board and the ebay is the place to get extra links. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:09 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

hvnen wrote:
- I would still love to hear some feedback on the Cockpit tho - prehaps from someone that owns one? :) - This ain't because I only care about that one, its just because that's the only one I cant seem to find loads of info and opinions on :roll: ..

Well now there may be your issue - there are a few around, but I think I'm the only regular poster with one now. Admin used to have one (the slate grey) and I know he was a big fan. Having said that, he sold it because he wasn't wearing it often enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:52 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I love mine. +2 sec/day Very comfortable. Sport or dress.

Last edited by NOMODOC on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
NOMODOC wrote:

Nice watch NOMODOC. Welcome from another SoCal member :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:24 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Sorry about the pics but I can't figure out how to post them directly without the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

NOMODOC wrote:
Sorry about the pics but I can't figure out how to post them directly without the link.

Try here - http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453