Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks for the photo fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I really like that raised center section in the wrist shot. Very distinctive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:57 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I had actually already decided that I wouldnt write till I have had a chance to visit that AD of mine, but I just.. Cant... Not.. reply... Awesome pictures of an awesome watch :shock: :D ... - Oh youth :roll: :wink: .. I had already given the Rosegold edition some thoughts, only problem is that I'm afraid I can't afford it unless its with leather bracelet - and im kinda burning to get my hands on one with a real bracelet :? ..

Anyways, thanks alot for the, as i've already mentioned, absolutely lovely pictures (especially as its with the new dial type!)..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:04 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Actually the pictures you are looking at are of a two tone.

$6940 Backbird on steel
$6745 Cockpit TT on TT pilot ($4155 on leather)

All rose gold of course it shoots up a bit over $31k :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:01 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Actually it's Rose gold and steel and retails for 7210 USD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

NOMODOC wrote:
Actually it's Rose gold and steel and retails for 7210 USD.

Since he was looking for the new model cockpit, I looked up the 2008 models TT and quoted those prices.

BTW the NEW rose gold and steel is now $7680.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:44 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Actually the rose gold version with leather strap is one of those that ive been looking the closest at (were thinking, that maybe if I bought it with leather now, I'll be able to afford the bracelet at some other point).

One of the thing's that im concerned about tho, and this might be silly, is that i'm afraid that the gold will be more easily scratched then if its for example, in just plain steel? - By the way, is there a way to get rid of (small) scratches without having to replace the entire bezel? (polishing etc?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:38 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
hvnen wrote:
One of the thing's that im concerned about tho, and this might be silly, is that i'm afraid that the gold will be more easily scratched then if its for example, in just plain steel? - By the way, is there a way to get rid of (small) scratches without having to replace the entire bezel? (polishing etc?)

Gold most definitely IS more prone to scratches that steel. In fact, solid gold watches are pretty impractical to wear on a daily basis. They look great (on leather or croco mind!), but the 18kt gold is very soft so you have to be super careful.

Small scratches on polished surfaces can be removed with Cape Cod cloths (loads of threads on here regarding them, and eBay is your best bet for buying them), and on brushed surfaces scratches can be removed with careful use of a green kitchen scouring pad (I believe they are called Scrotchbrite in the States). Results in both cases are excellent with a bit of care.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I havent really had the opportunity to visit my AD yet, anyways, I spoke to the guy who sold me the Omega earlier tho, and he suggested as I was looking for something special (with gold) but stabile (hardly scracthable) that I had my AD take a dial with gold numberals and place it in a "normal" steel watch, do you think that would work out / be possible? - I kinda like the idea, but I dont know wether its gonna look nice irl xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:37 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
hvnen wrote:
I havent really had the opportunity to visit my AD yet, anyways, I spoke to the guy who sold me the Omega earlier tho, and he suggested as I was looking for something special (with gold) but stabile (hardly scracthable) that I had my AD take a dial with gold numberals and place it in a "normal" steel watch, do you think that would work out / be possible? - I kinda like the idea, but I dont know wether its gonna look nice irl xD

Having gone through a similar hypothetical for another forum member, the answer would appear to be no.

You can 'mix and match' any case / dial combo that is available for a particular model, but Breitling appear to see gold versions as separate models so won't apply a dial from the gold version to a steel case. However, I am told that if you really want it the process is as follows:

1) Get your AD to ask Breitling to do it
2) Breitling says No
3) You contact Breitling saying that x AD was told by y at Breitling that it couldn't be done and that you are really disappointed as you had your heart set on it and with Breitling's amazing customer service you thought they would agree
4) Breitling apologises for the inconvenience and agrees to produce the watch for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:59 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it works ^^.. But isnt it something that the AD could do himself? I mean, order 1 home and swap it out?

I'm gonna be asking whenever I get there next time.. If only it wasnt so damn far away from where I live xd..*sigh*...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:34 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I love my new cockpit as well!

The dial is stunning, pictures really do not do this dial justice, it has to be seen in person.

My dial is Silver though it looks more pearly white and in some light looks similar to the White they used to paint E type Jaguars in the sixties, I love it!
The roman numerals are spot on in size and I love the crown!
For me though the best thing is the date! It is so easy to read at a glance and looks fantastic with the framing around it!
Try one on if you can!

I just updated this post as timing issues seem to be fully solved. I adjusted my watch to my atomic time source 6 hours ago and the all the hands pointed to twelve just as my atomic watch beeped the hour!

Also, I am not sure if other Breitlings do this But I have just discovered a really nice detail about this watch. I just noticed the date change! At about 23 seconds after midnight the date changed immediately. No slow hour long turn of the date wheel, just an instant change. I was really cool to watch! I have no idea how they engineer that into the watch but it is a really smart feature!

I LOVE this watch :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:00 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Indeed it is beautiful!! And the date mechanism is certainly a plus, yea - it takes centuries for my current Omega to change date, rather lame imo..

Anyhow.. Okay, this might be because of yesterdays drinking, some weird light conditions, or maybe just me being stupid/color-blind.. But isnt those 3 Roman numberals in 3 different colors? :shock: HOooooOOooow? - Or does one such dial just actually exist, and have I missed it? xD..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
hvnen wrote:
But isnt those 3 Roman numberals in 3 different colors? :shock: HOooooOOooow? - Or does one such dial just actually exist, and have I missed it? xD..

No, they aren't, AR and the angle sometimes give that appearance.
No such dial with 3 different numerals color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
hvnen wrote:
Thanks for the advice, hopefully it works ^^.. But isnt it something that the AD could do himself? I mean, order 1 home and swap it out?

No, Breilting AD's will not do this for you. Your only chance is to find a friendly non-Breitling watchmaker..... but getting hold of the parts may be tough for them.

Site Moderator