It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Insurance and Polish?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:12 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Hello all,

I am new to the Breitling scene and have just purchased a new Colt Chorno which currently is nice and shiny, I was wondering the best way to keep it this way?

Also, I'm not sure it is worth insuring? as it is only £1785, but would be nice to know where people stand in terms of insurance and whether they think it is a good idea? Also, how much you would expect insurance to be and where is a good place to get it from? I have looked at a few places and it looks like its going to be £100+ / year.

Cheers,

J

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
MINTisCRAZY wrote:
Hello all,

I am new to the Breitling scene and have just purchased a new Colt Chorno which currently is nice and shiny, I was wondering the best way to keep it this way?

Also, I'm not sure it is worth insuring? as it is only £1785, but would be nice to know where people stand in terms of insurance and whether they think it is a good idea? Also, how much you would expect insurance to be and where is a good place to get it from? I have looked at a few places and it looks like its going to be £100+ / year.

Cheers,

J

Cape Cods are the preferred choice for polishing - lots of threads on here.

In terms of insurance, there have also been a few threads about that. You can usually add it as a rider to a homeowner's policy, the cost being dependent on the company involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:00 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

thanks for the reply, I have just been on ebay and bought some of those cloths! :)

About the insurance, hmmm, I will be living as a student next year so I am unsure if I can still include this on my home's policy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

MINTisCRAZY wrote:
thanks for the reply, I have just been on ebay and bought some of those cloths! :)

About the insurance, hmmm, I will be living as a student next year so I am unsure if I can still include this on my home's policy?

If you have a renter's policy you should still be OK - same as coverage for TV, computer etc in rented accommodation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:33 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I checked with my accomodation insurance and that was £108, which is fine, although seems to be quite expensive? What is roughly the average price to pay?

Cheers,

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

It does sound expensive.

I'm not a good comparison - my policy includes any items up to a % of the property value at no extra cost provided that all items over $1,000 are specifically listed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I just had my Navi added to my add'l policy, which includes my wife's engagement ring & two other diamond pieces. Per discussions with my insurance co, there are limitations on the homeownwers policy that would expose some of these higher-dollar pieces to loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
J, just about any insurance provider will give you a renters quote as well. Another thing you can do is buy a small safe and stick it in the corner of a closet somewhere. And last but not least... you could wear it everywhere you go ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:51 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

In2Deep wrote:
J, just about any insurance provider will give you a renters quote as well. Another thing you can do is buy a small safe and stick it in the corner of a closet somewhere. And last but not least... you could wear it everywhere you go ;)

Hi In2Deep,

Thanks for your reply.

I plan on wearing it all the time and that is the problem, I'm moving to Newcastle. I do like Newcastle and have nothing against the people that live there but I must say it isnt the safest of places in the UK and I don't want to find myself with a 2 grand watch on, in the middle of newcastle at 4am, ha ha.

I have read quite a few posts on this forum before I bought a Breitling and saw people with a number of them and thought why? But now I find myself looking at a 2nd and I've only had this one for a few days?! Maddness.

Cheers for all the help,

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Hah! Newcastle is one of my favorite beers. I just bought a few Newcastle items on the bay to convert my pool room into a Newcastle theme ;)

Long sleeve shirts can help you conceal. If that doesn't work.... oh wait you guys can't carry guns there huh! :oops:

Haha J/K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:19 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Personally, I would highly recommend gettting the watch insured. I have all our fine jewelery insured separately, and I think it is worth the peace of mind to know I am covered if it is ever lost or stolen. I accidentally dropped a TAG watch into a lake that was a present from my dad, but it was insured and I replaced it and my dad never knew about it.

BTW, I recently purchased the Colt Chrono - nice choice!!!