The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:07 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi, just bought my first Brietling after 17 years of drooling and dreaming about owning one (used but imaculate navi world) but I have two queries:

1. the bezel is so stiff that it takes all my force to move it a few centimetres, i'm not over worried about it but is there a quick fix that I can perform myself, wd40 or oil ?

2. I won't be wearing it every day due to my job and I was wondering about the best way to store it, do I fully wind it or just let it run out, is it best to keep it avtive?

regards Mike

ps. great site.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
mikegally wrote:
Hi, just bought my first Brietling after 17 years of drooling and dreaming about owning one (used but imaculate navi world) but I have two queries:

1. the bezel is so stiff that it takes all my force to move it a few centimetres, i'm not over worried about it but is there a quick fix that I can perform myself, wd40 or oil ?

2. I won't be wearing it every day due to my job and I was wondering about the best way to store it, do I fully wind it or just let it run out, is it best to keep it avtive?

regards Mike

ps. great site.

Hi, Firstly, IMHO it's infintely preferable to have the bezel a little too stiff than too loose. The tighter it is the less it will be prone to the ingress of water. (Obviously don't go swimming in it just because it's tight, but it will offer more protection from accidental splashing!). Howver if it's REALLY tight like yours sounds, I'd suggest a trip to your AD to see what they can do. Please please DO NOT spray it with WD40! Leave it to the pros. Personally, unless you have cause to really need the slide rule, I'd be tempted to leave it for the reasons mentioned above, but it's up to you.

On the second point the best way to keep your watch active (other than wearing it!) is to buy a watch winder.... but as you will find in other threads on here, there are issues with getting something of decent quality at a decent price. Alternatively you could just give you watch a bit of a wind by hand every few days or so - no harm in that. Or alternatively you could just give your watch a full wind a couple of times a month and just let it run down. This will ensure the oils stay moving and spread throughout the movement.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Mike,

I have had a fair amount of luck freeing up a tight bezel by using dental floss.
If the problem is dirt and gunk causing the stiffness, this may help some.

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Dental floss?

I'd rather send my watch in to the nearest AD (but as it is now I can walk...) and let them clean it...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

[quote="mikegally"]1. the bezel is so stiff that it takes all my force to move it a few centimetres, i'm not over worried about it but is there a quick fix that I can perform myself, wd40 or oil ?
regards Mike

He asked for a quick fix,
And I supplied it! :wink:

dave