It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:58 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
dgleeds wrote:
Make a copy of your receipt and warranty card to send in with the watch.

Type up a brief description of the problem you are having. It is helpful in the case of automatics to inform the tech of your wearing habits. I.E. if you take off at night or leave on as I do. I would include this info in the letter.

Send Directly to:

Breitling USA
Hangar 7
206 Danbury Road
Wilton CT 06897

TEL: 203-762-1180

That's about it.

I would obviously use a trackable service such as UPS or FEDEX.

I use UPS and for items over a certain value you actually have to drop of and get a signature from UPS facility for insurance to be valid.

Call once it is received at BUSA and within that day they usually diagnose and tell you what the prognosis is. Also when you call you will find out who you regional service rep is. Breitling assigns customer service reps to the various parts of the country. They have one for the northeast, etc., they will ask where you are calling from when you call them to inquire about your watch.

does it matter if i bought it second hand? i don't have the original receipt, but i have the warranty card and the rest of the papers (obviously not in my name).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

As long as you have an official warranty card you should be fine.

I would copy the warranty card and send it it. They will not due any work until they contact you if it is deemed out of warranty. If the warranty is in effect you should be fine. I have read that Breitling warranty covers the watch not the purchaser, which makes sense. For example if you give it as a gift, the one who holds the warranty card gets the service. Just send a copy of your valid warranty card and you should have no problems.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dgleeds on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:14 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I would prob wait a few days/weeks that way you have a better feel for the piece and then would truly know if its losing time etc...

Breitling for Bentley GMT Midnight Carbon Black Steel LE 1000
Hublot Big Bang Aero Bang Steel
"You gotta pay to play..."
:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
dgleeds wrote:
In my opinion, just because someone is an AD doesn't mean they have the same expertise in fixing or adjusting Breitlings as BUSA techs do. It's like service for cars, sure the dealer is authorized to service your Porsche, but if you had the option to send it in to Porsche wouldn't you? It depends on how good you AD is. Using the car analogy again, I worked for a Porsche dealer and some of the techs that we had working on the cars were not great on quality control. Also BUSA is gonna have the ability to replace whatever free of charge (under warranty) and has the ability to do much more that a AD. Also you have a paper trail as I did if future problems arise. Again BUSA first did a free basic service and then a free complete service.

Just my opinion though.

An AD who can't regulate a watch has no business being an AD.

I wouldn't have them service my watch for me, but neither do I want to send my watch away for 6 weeks for a simple adjustment. Heck for vintage pieces if I had a timer I'd regulate my own - it's not rocket science.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:

An AD who can't regulate a watch has no business being an AD.

I wouldn't have them service my watch for me, but neither do I want to send my watch away for 6 weeks for a simple adjustment. Heck for vintage pieces if I had a timer I'd regulate my own - it's not rocket science.

All I am saying is you can't put too much stock in the term "AD". Also watchmaking is a bit of "rocket science". It takes a skilled set of hands to perform a proper overhaul which in my case was what my watch need not just a simple adjustment. Also as I stated it was no more than two weeks each time I have sent it to BUSA. Even if it took six weeks I would feel more comfortable with them handling my watch. Like I said if it needs more than just a simple adjustment it will get done at BUSA.

AD expertise definitely varies, again all an "AD" is is an authorized dealer. Any jewlery store can become a "AD". They deal with all different types of watches and jewelry they are not Breitling experts or watchmakers. Maybe you have access to a highly skilled AD, I think it makes more sense for most people to deal with BUSA. If your watch is out of warranty and you don't want to pay the fees you could always go to a local watchmaker for overhauls and maybe have quicker turnaround time. I think it is insulting to watchmakers to say it's not rocket science.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in Sweden every AD I've been to have a hired watchmaker, working for the AD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
aleister wrote:
I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in Sweden every AD I've been to have a hired watchmaker, working for the AD.

Canada too in my experience.

I understand the concerns, but if I'm going to give a 60 year old watch to the watchmaker at my AD (not the sales staff) for a complete overhaul, I'm going to trust them to regulate my watch.

If that doesn't solve the problem then Breitling get it for warranty work, but I personally don't see the downside of trying the simple solution first.

To each their own though - Breitling certainly won't complain if you send it to them directly.