It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Blacksteel question....?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:56 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi everyone,

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself. I have used the site before for some reference information and today thought I would join so I can use the forum too.

I was chatting to a friend last night about the Breitling Blacksteel.

One question came up that we couldn't really answer and it is about the casing.

Some info on this site states 'one in regular stainless, and a limited edition in Black-Steel, which is a Carbon Nitride based coating. If it is indeed coated in a carbon nitride treatment, it could very well be harder and more scratch resistant than the Sapphire Crystal!'.

Another site says that the case is carbonised steel (all the way through).

So I am a little confused as to which to believe.

Either way, what would happen if it were scratched? Would it be like 'coated' watches and leave a rather obvious scratch etc

Also, how might a scratch be treated?

Anyway - his advice was to pose the question here as he said someone somewhere will have the answer!

Here's hoping.....

Thanks

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Hello Cliff, welcome aboard!

I'm afraid I'm not too clear on this one, so I too am looking forward to the 'pros' input here as I have the upcoming SA limited on order.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:07 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

In2Deep wrote:

I'm afraid I'm not too clear on this one, so I too am looking forward to the 'pros' input here as I have the upcoming SA limited on order.

So, hopefully we both get answers!

When does your one 'land'?

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Hello Cliff and welcome!

This was discussed not very long ago, in this thread:

http://www.breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Especially interesting for your questions is the link Driver8 refers to in the middle of the second page.

As I've understood it, the Blacksteel uses a DLC coating (Diamond-Like-Carbon) which is very tough. However, as you can read in the link, scratches may appear. Treating a scratch would be almost impossible - the only way of getting it to look "unscratched" would be to wear off the entire coating and then re-apply it. Very costly. Trying to "fix" the scratch by adding a new coating to the scratch would make it look better but as they would be made at different times under different conditions it would still be seen as a irregularity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
ceejbee wrote:
In2Deep wrote:

So, hopefully we both get answers!

When does your one 'land'?

Cliff

Well I've heard two different things. The Breitling rep said "before Christmas". Here in the forums someone mentioned October-ish. Either way I'm not too concerned about it. I have a receipt in hand, and will wait like everyone else.

Hopefully the DLC will be robust enough to get some daily usage out of it... I would hate to pick one up just so it sits on a shelf :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:42 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Well I've heard two different things. The Breitling rep said "before Christmas". Here in the forums someone mentioned October-ish. Either way I'm not too concerned about it. I have a receipt in hand, and will wait like everyone else.

Hopefully the DLC will be robust enough to get some daily usage out of it... I would hate to pick one up just so it sits on a shelf :([/quote]

I am sure you will enjoy it - mine is the Skyland version from last year / early this. I have had it for several months now but only wear it occasionally - due to me thinking that it will get damaged - I am beginning to think though if it is keeper for me I should wear it and enjoy it. It is a great watch and wears really well on the wrist - plus of course it looks so cool!

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:06 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Just to add to Aleister's reply - yes DLC is very tough. Much tougher than PVD and it definitely does make a watch more scratch resistant. However, the key is the word "resistant". It's not scratch "proof". You also need to remember that no matter how tough the surface coating is, it's still a surface coating, and thin surface coatings are only as tough as the underlying strata they are applied to - in this case 316L steel.

Damasko and Sinn use an ice-hardening process on some of their watch cases that massively increases the Vickers rating (hardness) of the surface, but under test conditions they have been damaged using relatively light pressure from a pointed instrument. This results in something called egg-shell effect damage. Basically this is where the surface is very tough, but the underlying material is not, so the tough but thin surface coating can be damaged. This can also happen to DLC as the result of that process is similar - i.e. a surface process to harden/toughen the steel. In short DLC is excellent at contact-abrasion resistance, but not necessarily so great at impact damage. (Note - some of the Damasko processes toughen the whole case right through the metal and not just the surface, but that's for another thread!)

Also it's worth remembering that in contact areas while DLC will not be worn out by contact with untreated steel, DLC will wear out DLC, so it's worth remembering that in certain areas (like the push-pieces, for example) DLC will be in contact with DLC so it could, in theory, wear over time. (You only need to look at a worn out PVD watch to get an idea of how poor that would look). However, I should stress this is likely take decades (maybe a lifetime!) but it's still worth considering.

Basically for me the risk of damaging the coating from an unlucky impact with a door knob or shelf or something, and then not being able to just polish it out effectively rules any of these Blacksteel models out for me. I think they look great, but having a big shiny ding or scratch in the lovely black coating would do my head in!

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:00 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks Driver 8

BTW - your location reference under your name cracked me up - I totally agree with you!!!!!

Let's save that for another day though.....

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:18 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Driver8 wrote:
Basically for me the risk of damaging the coating from an unlucky impact with a door knob or shelf or something, and then not being able to just polish it out effectively rules any of these Blacksteel models out for me. I think they look great, but having a big shiny ding or scratch in the lovely black coating would do my head in!

If that happens, I see no other easy fix than taking out the black marker pen and fill in the scratch... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
So it's admission time.....

I dinged my Blacksteel on the weekend :cry:

There is now a ding in the edge of the 3 o'clock rider tab, and yes the DLC is damaged - I actually think that the DLC is fine, but the 'remodelling' of the steel has shown some of the base steel - it's far from bad, but does definitely show a little 'non black'

DLC is tough, but it's still only a very thin surface treatment. I'm glad I have mine, I'm not overly concerned about the minor ding, but it should definitely be a factor in the buying decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:02 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Roffensian wrote:

There is now a ding in the edge of the 3 o'clock rider tab, and yes the DLC is damaged - I actually think that the DLC is fine, but the 'remodelling' of the steel has shown some of the base steel - it's far from bad, but does definitely show a little 'non black'

DLC is tough, but it's still only a very thin surface treatment. I'm glad I have mine, I'm not overly concerned about the minor ding, but it should definitely be a factor in the buying decision.

:cry: Oh no Roff, what a pain! Are you digging out the black marker pen or are you going to leave it as a "character" mark.... kind of like Cindy Crawford's mole!

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

:cry: Oh no Roff, what a pain! Are you digging out the black marker pen or are you going to leave it as a "character" mark.... kind of like Cindy Crawford's mole!

It's definitely character - it's not bad, I just have to get used to it so that my eye isn't drawn every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Really sorry to hear that Roffensian. I suffer with you. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:02 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

dings are tough...