Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Condensation in watch
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:38 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Since I received my Breitling Superocean Chronometre a couple of days ago from auction, I've had nothing but problems.
The crown came off but I managed to screw it back on so I can set the time, day and date perfectly. Now a bigger worry is that I woke up this morning to find the watch face looking foogy/cloudy so there must be condensation in it. After a few hours it still has not disappeared.
It is going to be sent into service in a few days but do you think there is substantial damage considering the condensation is still there and did not disappear within a few minutes?
I am also confident that the crown was securely tightened.
As you can imagine, this is very frustrating considering this is my first decent watch and I love the way it looks.

EDIT: How long does it usually take Breitling to send it back?... I've heard it takes 1-2 months

Last edited by sotto123 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I can understand that you love the SO, it's a great watch.

It sounds like it really needs to go for a service. The crown is bad enough, that must be done by an AD/service center. Putting it back yourself will most likely not make it waterproof.

The condensation issue shouldn't be too bad, if you experienced it just now. If it has been there for ages it might have damaged the mechanism, but your service guy will find that out.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
sotto123 wrote:
Since I received my Breitling Superocean Chronometre a couple of days ago from auction, I've had nothing but problems.
The crown came off but I managed to screw it back on so I can set the time, day and date perfectly. Now a bigger worry is that I woke up this morning to find the watch face looking foogy/cloudy so there must be condensation in it. After a few hours it still has not disappeared.
It is going to be sent into service in a few days but do you think there is substantial damage considering the condensation is still there and did not disappear within a few minutes?
I am also confident that the crown was securely tightened.
As you can imagine, this is very frustrating considering this is my first decent watch and I love the way it looks.

I think we'd like to see some photos of this watch.

The SuperOcean is rated to a depth of either 1,000m or 1,500m, depending on which model you have. If the crown has come off that's obviously compromised, even if you have reattached it, but I don't understand how it would have got condensation simply by sitting on the nightstand overnight.

Don't want to question the watch at this point, but I think for your peace of mind it would be a good idea to give us some pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:04 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I'm sorry, I should be more clear... I had a shower before I went to bed last night with the watch on but then I went to bed immediately. Therefore, the condensation was probably there but I did not notice it until I next looked at my watch when I woke up.
I would post pictures but I don't know where to host them... the auction house was Bonhams in Knighstbridge so I assume it to be a reliable place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
Try www.photobucket.com for hosting - free

Help here:

http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453

Sounds like it should be OK if it a recent problem - as you suggest - and it's going for a service anyway.

Looks like one problem (the crown being loose) has caused another (the condensation).

Whatever made you think you could have a shower in a watch rated to only 3000 feet! Only kidding.

Fingers crossed that it will get sorted at service. I'd say it's worth finding your nearest maintenance centre, via the Breitling website, and dealing direct with them - might be quicker and easier.

To complete the collection:
Navi 01 46/Black leather - Black/white
Montbrillant Datora/Navi - White face
:lingsrock:

LEARNING.......EVERY DAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:48 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Breitling Bloke wrote:
Looks like one problem (the crown being loose) has caused another (the condensation).

Agreed, now we know about the shower it sounds as though the water got in through the compromised crown.

As others have said, no big deal if the watch is going to be serviced as there won't have been enough time for serious damage to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
You took a shower after the crown had fallen off?!

Explaind condensation spot on. Service center right away is my recommendation... But as others have said - as it happened so recently there shouldn't be any consistent damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:06 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Well we obviously understand why the watch had moisture in it, but what you guys don't understand is that it only takes a few hours of moisture for a watch to be severely damaged by it! Especially dial and hand; the luminous usually gets affected first, then the dial paint, next is all the parts of the movement!
Doesn't mean your watch will get ruined for 100%, but it doesn't take much...

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:35 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
This happened to me upon returning from Maui three years ago. Don't know if the rapid climate changes from altitudes there may have caused it, but it prompted a service call (due anyway) which revealed a bad seal.

What I did prior to delivering to my AD involved wrapping it in a paper towel, and using silica gel packs (outside of the towel) to draw the moisture out. Works fine now, but I would move quickly if I were you (I'm sure you already have).