Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My Steelfish
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:29 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Not really a problem this.... more of an observation.

Every single automatic watch that I have ever owned in the past has always gained time to certain degree - 1 or 2 seconds a day on average for Chronometers and more for non-Chronometers - but they have never lost time.

However my new Steelfish is losing exactly 5 seconds each day. After the first day I expected it to "catch up" the following day, but no it carried on losing a regular 5 seconds......

I'll leave it for a while as it is a new watch, and I've only owned it for 10 days but I may consider taking it in if it continues as technically speaking minus 5 seconds per day is 1 second outside of COSC tolerance!

Site Moderator

Post subject: Re: My Steelfish
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Driver8 wrote:
Not really a problem this.... more of an observation.

Every single automatic watch that I have ever owned in the past has always gained time to certain degree - 1 or 2 seconds a day on average for Chronometers and more for non-Chronometers - but they have never lost time.

However my new Steelfish is losing exactly 5 seconds each day. After the first day I expected it to "catch up" the following day, but no it carried on losing a regular 5 seconds......

I'll leave it for a while as it is a new watch, and I've only owned it for 10 days but I may consider taking it in if it continues as technically speaking minus 5 seconds per day is 1 second outside of COSC tolerance!

I've wondered about that. Watchmakeress can doubtless explain why there is more of a tendency to gain than lose, but I don't recall haveing any mechanical watch (that wasn't in need of servicing) that lost time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Me neither - whenever I check my watches (which isn't every day, quite far from it...) they always gain a few seconds. None of them have ever lost a few seconds instead.

I would do the same thing as you suggest - wait a few more days and then go see the AD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:14 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
:/ I'm shamefully checking mine against my Skyhawk A-T Ti since it's got atomic time keeping. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Yeah it's quite odd because while COSC tolerance is -4 to +6 I've never had any watch in the "-4 section"! I'll give it another week or so and then I might swing by my AD to have it regulated a little.

Incidentally, I know what causes watches to run a little fast, but I don't know any reasons why they may run slow. :huh Any chance of your infinite knowledge on this one please, Watchmakeress??? :?: :)

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:04 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
Sorry if this may sound thick! Obviously I would like to check my watch when it comes so whats the best way to do it, do you check of another watch or do you go by your Sky tv :oops: Thats not a joke either, I really don't know but I know you guyz are going to tell me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

andrew692003 wrote:
Sorry if this may sound thick! Obviously I would like to check my watch when it comes so whats the best way to do it, do you check of another watch or do you go by your Sky tv :oops: Thats not a joke either, I really don't know but I know you guyz are going to tell me!

Not thick at all. I use the atomic clock at -

http://www.atomic-clock.org.uk/atomuhr.html

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:53 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Hey Driver8,

Oddly my experience has been the other way. Both my Chrono Avenger and my Seawolf lost significant time in the early days and both had to go back (via my AD) for tweaking. They were losing 3 to 5 minutes per week!!!. Since Breitling tweaked them, they've been very close to spot on.

My wife's SOH also gained 1.5 minutes per day from the start so had to go back in to be regulated.

So only my Chronomatic 24 (and of course the battery-powered Aero') hasn't needed returning. Maybe I've just been unlucky but I have to say it made me wonder about quality control. At least the AD never quibles at all.

What they have said, though, is that an automatic watch really does need a fortnight on the wrist to regulate itself to its new owner! (True apparently!?!). So maybe you just have to give yours a bit of wrist time?

Cheers,

Nick

Avenger Seawolf
Chrono Avenger
Aerospace
SOHC LE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Cheers Swiftnick,

Good to see I'm not the only one who's ever had one run slow!

3 to 5 mins a week that you had is a lot! :shock: Makes my 5 seconds a day seem pretty weedy! I going to leave mine for a few more days to see if it gets used to me! :)

Site Moderator