Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newb Navi Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:14 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
1. Is it normal for it to make noises....Is this particular movement "loud" (my GF is starting to get annoyed of the sound of the watch when sleeping)

2. Regarding cleaning cloth, would a eyeglasses cloth be OK? I do not want to make scratches on this fine piece. It is one of the most beautiful bracelet I've ever seen, and owned.

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Newb Navi Question
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:31 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
bluetony wrote:
1. Is it normal for it to make noises....Is this particular movement "loud" (my GF is starting to get annoyed of the sound of the watch when sleeping)

2. Regarding cleaning cloth, would a eyeglasses cloth be OK? I do not want to make scratches on this fine piece. It is one of the most beautiful bracelet I've ever seen, and owned.

Thanks,

As far as noise in concerned, it's normal to make noise when it's winding (i.e. when the rotor has moved and the energy is being transferred to the mainspring. Not sure which movement you have - it will depend on which Navitimer you have, but Navitimers don't generally have the loudest movements. Additionally, if the watch is just sitting on the night stand (you mentioned that your girlfriend was sleeping so I'm assuming this is a night time issue) it shouldn't be making any noise.

For cleaning, an eyeglass cloth will be fine, even if it's impregnated with a solution it's not going to damage the watch if it's good enough for optical lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Valjoux movements are noisy. They will make a little noise when the rotor is spiining, and you will feel a slight vibration. Totally common.

There are watchmakers with their own in house movements that are much quieter, Rolex being one. I never hear or feel the rotor while my Submariner is on my wrist.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
If you Navitimer is a Navitimer World it will have a noisy(ish) rotor movement as its' Breitling 24 movement is based on the Breitling 13, which is itself essentially a Valjoux 7750.... which is a relatively noisy movement! All totally normal.

And as Roff said, you'd probably be advised to take your watch off at night, in which case it won't make any sound at all.... unless your girlfriend has the hearing of a bat and can hear the extremely quiet tick-tick-tick! :lol:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:20 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

haha....yeah my watch is not the world, it is just a regular Navitimer....
I actually enjoy the sound it gives because it seems to be more lively for me.
Rolex are quiet....I checked out the submariner and GMT master ii.....I could not hear anything.....

But the watchsmith from AD told me that Navi has the most complex movement in Breitling and the sales lady told me that customers bring the Navitimers back the most for repairs or other issues......
what do you guys think?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:35 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
bluetony wrote:
But the watchsmith from AD told me that Navi has the most complex movement in Breitling and the sales lady told me that customers bring the Navitimers back the most for repairs or other issues......
what do you guys think?

Hmmmm, I don't think the standard Navi movement is the most complex movement that Breitling have - certainly not in terms of component parts. It's not as widely used as say the Breitling 13, but I can't comment on number of issues. Maybe someone like Vanessa or Alien can comment more on that.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:09 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I think it in the ETA Valjoux 7753 in the new navitimers now........but I know nothing of the movement.............