Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:53 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello,

This is a dumb question, but I guess I will never find the answer out unless I ask. So here goes:

I just got my first Breitling Navitimer World three weeks ago. It's been working ok until I found it not working a week ago. So I ended up winding it again and setting the time. It worked a couple more days and then stopped. So once again, I ended up winding it for the third time. I came today from work to find it once again not working.

Is it possible that I was sold a Breitling with a dead battery? I bought this from AD in Michigan but now I am back in Toronto. How long would that AD have had that watch for the battery to die?

Any ideas on what I can do?

Much appreciated.

Thanks,

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:36 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
No such thing as a dumb question - though I've been known to offer some dumb answers :?

This one I know though!

Your watch doesn't have a battery - it's an automatic mechanical movement - when you wind it you are tightening a spring. That spring is an energy store and the energy is then slowly released to operate the watch. With a full wind the watch will run for approximately 42 hours. If you wear the watch every day then the watch will stay wound - there's a semi-circular weight in the watch pivoted in the middle of the movement that moves with your wrist movements and keeps the spring tight.

It sounds as though you aren't wearing the watch everyday so the spring is not being kept fully wound. In that case you either need to manually wind it - approx 30 turns every 24 hours or put it on a watch winder - basically a motor that moves the watch imitating your wrist movements. Of course the best solution is just to wear the watch more :wink:

As you are new to automatic watches, be sure to read the manual and take particular note of the warning not to use the date change function between 8pm and 3am.

Hope that makes sense!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:52 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian (or Andy, I suspect),

Thank you very very much for your reply! You have no idea how depressed I was getting at the prospect of changing the battery on a 3 week old watch.

I suspected that there was no battery because as you mentioned whenever I wear it for an extended period it seems to keep working.

I guess the solution is as you said ... to wear it more often. Now I am faced with the more challenging task of finding another job where I won't stick out wearing a $6000 watch! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:05 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

masrawi wrote:

Thank you very very much for your reply! You have no idea how depressed I was getting at the prospect of changing the battery on a 3 week old watch.

I suspected that there was no battery because as you mentioned whenever I wear it for an extended period it seems to keep working.

I guess the solution is as you said ... to wear it more often. Now I am faced with the more challenging task of finding another job where I won't stick out wearing a $6000 watch! :D

Andy indeed - and you're from T.O. - do I know you?

You didn't buy the watch for other people - you bought it for you. As long as you aren't in an environment where the watch will be damaged (I wouldn't recommend wearing it if you operate a pneumatic drill for a living) then wear it and don't worry what others think. I rotate my daily wearers and some people know that they are high end, some don't - I'm sure they have opinions, and one person actually told me that it was a waste of money , but it makes me happy - and really that's all that matters.

Wear it in health, enjoy your (first) Breitling and welcome to the crazyness that is Breitlingsource :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:33 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:
masrawi wrote:

You didn't buy the watch for other people - you bought it for you. As long as you aren't in an environment where the watch will be damaged (I wouldn't recommend wearing it if you operate a pneumatic drill for a living) then wear it and don't worry what others think. I rotate my daily wearers and some people know that they are high end, some don't - I'm sure they have opinions, and one person actually told me that it was a waste of money , but it makes me happy - and really that's all that matters.

Wear it in health, enjoy your (first) Breitling and welcome to the crazyness that is Breitlingsource :lol:

Andy,

Thank for your advice. I am from Toronto. And no, we don't know each other. I cheated and got your name by clicking on the www link on your profile.

I don't operate a pneumatic drill ... if I did, then you'd probably be wondering what I am dealing on the side to afford the watch! :P

I am a manager at CIBC btw ...

All the best to you my friend.

e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:41 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

masrawi wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
masrawi wrote:

Andy,

Thank for your advice. I am from Toronto. And no, we don't know each other. I cheated and got your name by clicking on the www link on your profile.

I don't operate a pneumatic drill ... if I did, then you'd probably be wondering what I am dealing on the side to afford the watch! :P

I am a manager at CIBC btw ...

All the best to you my friend.

e

Had CIBC as a client twice - ran the PMO for telephone banking back in 2003 - 2004 and built the PMO for the technology infrastructure guys in 2005. Feel free to engage my firm again - I need more Breitlings :wink: