The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:24 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I am a new memeber but a long time Brieltling fan. About 2 years ago I purchased from an AD a Bentley Motors T black dial with a white outer ring. About 3 weeks ago I noticed that the outer white ring of the dial has started to change color picking up a redish tint which seems to be getting worse. A non AD watch seller I know has advised that he has seen similar watches before at trade shows.

Is any one familer with this problem. Do I have any recourse with BUSA
The watch was never subjected to water or extreme heat .

(I tried to post this same msg a few minutes ago sorry If I screwed up)

Thanks

Last edited by jerry on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:10 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Is the timepiece stored in direct sunlight or is it exposed to direct light for long periods of time?

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:27 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

no more then normal daily use

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:24 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

My first guess would be corrosion... A watch doesn't have to get exposed to water to have moisture damage. Sudden temperature changes, or steam (even from laying on the bathroom counter while you take a hot shower) could cause this as well, although it shouldn't happen with a 2 year old watch... you should definately ask an opinion of a watchmaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:11 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I was hoping that someone else had noticed the same condiltion. Anyway the watch is out of the warrenty period,so I either live with it or pay for a new dial.

Thanks for the replies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:19 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

jerry,

My first Bentley was a black dial GT last year. The same thing happened to mine but only after 5 weeks. The white ring around the outside of the inner moving slide rule began to change color to a reddish brown color. Knowing that sending it to Breitling could take months I decided to take it to my guy that does work on my Lings. The watch was only 5 weeks old so he instructed me to take it back to my AD and raise a little Hell. I got lucky because that particular day the regional rep from Ling was there. He began by promising to put it at the front of the line at the repair center. I pitched a fit and they agreed to let me pay the difference in costs and swap it out for a full sized Bentley Motors which I had decided that I wanted anyway so in my case it was a good thing that the watch was defective because by that point after 5 weeks with the Bentley GT I had decided it was too small and I wanted the FULL LING anyway. My repair guy told me that it was due to an improper seal and that he had seen the problem before. So like I said in my case it was a blessing because I was tired of the Bentley GT and wanted the Motors and ended up getting it for $900 more dollars. Then the regional rep ended up sending me a Breitling backpack, another hat and a Breitling Golf shirt to my office.

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:40 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Jerry,

That same thing happened to Lingman. He had a Bentley GT that was getting discolored and we took it to a Breitling repair guy and he said it is the seal/pressure of the watch from the factory and it is a defect. this happened about 5-6 weeks after buying it so he exchanged it at the AD but your watch is defective is what it sounds like. This just started after 2 years? When the watch is not sealed properly from the factory you will get discoloration like you are describing. Do not send it back to Breitling because you will not get it back for a year or so. Pay a local Breitling repairman to fix it. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I was at a major Breitling dealer in Long Island NY on Sat. The watch maker looked at the watch and said that he had never seen this type of discoloration on a watch before. He recommend sending the watch back to Breitling for repair.

I guess that the cost will be north of $750, so I will live with the problem until I can come up with the extra cash.

Thanks for you replies

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 2 posts
Warranty expired or not I would get in touch with Breitling head office and see what they say.

Do they want unhappy customers with high end watches when they could fix it as a courtesy to you?

Worth a try I reckon.

To complete the collection:
Navi 01 46/Black leather - Black/white
Montbrillant Datora/Navi - White face
:lingsrock:

LEARNING.......EVERY DAY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:23 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Jerry,

Give my guy a call at 561-470-2241. His name is Roy Geddes and he has seen this problem before. Before spending $750 ask Roy if he could do a little better. I think he can and will and you will get the watch back much faster. I had to bring him a 2 tone Chronomat about 4 years ago that I had taken in for a polishing job. The guy that polished it removed the movement before polishing the watch and completely MANGLED the movement when he put it back in. I got the watch, paid him and put it on and went to lunch. About a half hour later I noticed it wasn't working at all. So I took it back and they looked at it and said they would have to send it back to Breitling. Well after hearing stories of how long that can take I contacted a friend of mine that sells me other jewelery like rings and stuff. He recommended Roy. When Roy opened up the watch he said it was so badly MANGLED that it looked like it was done intentionally. Well to make a long story short, what took the longest time was Roy getting the parts from Breitling, but once he got the parts he had the watch back to me in 2 days. I got it back resealed, completely repaired, polished like new and PERFECT for $450. I have been going to him ever since. So I think it would be worth your while to give Roy a call, explain the situation and see what he says.

:fulllingclub: