Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:29 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
G'day guys,

Well I'm a new member and this is my first post. I've lurked here for a while and just last week I got home from a holiday in Thailand. While waiting at the terminal in Singpore for my flight I decided now was as good as any time to buy my first Breitling.

I bought the Colt Automatic GMT with a silver face and silver bracelet. I love this watch and can't stop looking at it.

HOWEVER.....it stopped after 5 days and I am shattered. I have wound it 40 times like the book said to, so it can't be that. What else can it be?
I can't believe after wanting a Breitling for so long, I get one and it gives up the ghost.
Does anyone have any idea or do I just take the watch and warranty to the AD?

I have no doubts about it being genuine, like I said I got it in Singapore, not Thailand. And they love watches in Singapore!

I have to go now....I think I'm going to cry. :(

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
:welcome: to forum first. If you wore it regularly for five days and it stopped after 40 initial turns you have a problem. If you didn't wear it regularly or just put it sometimes, most probably power reserve went out. If you wear Automatic watch occasionally either buy a winder or hand wound it every day or day and a half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:15 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Oh no, that's not good. But yes, I think I do have a problem here. I guess there's nothing for it but to take it in and let them deal with it.

Is an automatic watch that delicate or is this a mechanism that will normally last for many years?

I bought the Colt because it looked so good. I could wear it with a suit or in the pool.

I travel a bit and like a watch that can keep up, whether I go swimming, or shooting or camping etc. If I have to worry about my watch then my Luminox comes back out of the drawer.

Thanks for your quick reply bnewbie.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
You're welcome. Automatic watch is more delicate than a quartz one, altough it can remain in perfect condition after decades of use if you maintenance it regularly. Colt doesn't just look good, it is good and you don't have to worry about it. Hopefully you'll have your watch soon, keep us informed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Well, here's an update. I have just got back from the AD, who were very nice and helpful, and I have no watch. It has to go to Sydney for repairs. That's interstate. They told me that depending on what is wrong, it may have to go overseas! The wait time is between 2 weeks and 2 months.

Now just as a reminder here, I bought this watch just last week for $2300 Australian, and it worked for 5 days.

I was looking for a good watch as a replacement for my much used Luminox. It was a considerable upgrade but I have wanted one for a long time and here I am now wearing my Luminox again. The irony is if I had paid $200 for a Casio G-Shock it would still be on my wrist (even though they are freakin' ugly).

I just feel this is nowhere good enough or am I being unreasonble? I guess even Steinway made a dud piano now and then but if anything else goes wrong with this watch once I get it back, then I will have lost confidence in it and it will have to go.

If I didn't like the look of the watch so much I would be planning on off loading it now.

Not happy.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:49 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Dave, First welcome to the forum. I would not give up that fast on the Breitling line of watches. It really is a case of bad luck and Breitling will get it running like brand new and once you have it back on your wrist a big smile will return to you face. here is a clip of what make these watches so fantastic and all the workings that go on inside a mechanical automatic Breitling. Good luck and keep us posted. Rick

http://www.breitling.com/service-chrono/

http://www.breitling.com/service-quartz/

:fulllingclub: :threequartslingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:38 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yeah you're right Rick, they are pretty special. Perhaps it's just that lady luck wasn't smiling when I bought it. I hope it comes back soon though, 2 months is just outrageous.

Good clips by the way.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Hope your watch comes back soon, Dave. I wouldn't give up that quickly either. I've used my Breitlings for every activity that I do, and there has never been a problem. The movements that Breitling uses are among the more robust movements out there. If you want a Breitling that will be just a big more tough, get one of the SuperQuartz models. They are nice as well! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Sorry to hear about your problems - indeed you was out of luck there. If it is a serious problem requiring the watch to go back to Switzerland for repair, 2 months from Australia isn't that bad really. When buying something new (and expensive) you always want it to work as intended, so I can understand your disappointment, but please don't give up on it. Hopefully you'll also receive some sort of excuse/compensation from Breitling when you get the Colt back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:11 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments guys. I have looked around the forum and I do seem to be the exception as there are a lot of very happy and proud owners of Beitlings.
I guess I just picked that one in a million that was going to have something wrong.
Still not happy though and I need a satisfactory explanation from the service people in Sydney on what has gone wrong.

Cheers
Dave

Post subject: Got them Breitling blues
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:17 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Dave-

When I was in your amazing country last June, I ran across a quote in the Sydney newspaper quoting John Connolly, the Wallabies coach.

He said and I carry this in my wallet today, "I just want to go home and get on the drink." That probably sums it up for you.

I ran into a similar problem with an Emergency Mission back in July '04. Ran fine for five days then stopped. Believe it was just a battery but off to Switzerland it went. I never saw it again, and I swapped it for a Chrono Avenger. If there's such a thing as better than new, that's how it will come back to you.

As others have said, you'll get it back and it will be Fair dinkum and your mates will say you got a Bonzer watch.

Regards,

Kevin
No footy for me, but I'm going to go get a few throwdowns after work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:50 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Gday Kevin,

You made me laugh mate, that's a good grasp of the language you have there. I have not had too many drinks like John would since I got back from Thailand as I need to dry out a little!

I am hoping to hear this week on the diagnosis of my Breitling's illness. If it is terminal, I am wondering on the options as I got a good discount buying overseas and duty free. I may only get a credit for the Aussie value which means I will have to put in extra. Or maybe they will do a swap for me, who knows.

Hope you had a good time down here on your travels. I am going to the States in July after seeing some of South America. Stopping in Vegas and L.A. and seeing some sights and I am sure my wife and I will love it so much we'll have to go back. I'll try a few Buds while I'm there, buddy!

Cheers
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:03 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Dave any update on the situation?

Time is precious, keep it with elegance!
-Alien13-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:46 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

RICK S wrote:
Dave, First welcome to the forum. I would not give up that fast on the Breitling line of watches. It really is a case of bad luck and Breitling will get it running like brand new and once you have it back on your wrist a big smile will return to you face. here is a clip of what make these watches so fantastic and all the workings that go on inside a mechanical automatic Breitling. Good luck and keep us posted. Rick

http://www.breitling.com/service-quartz/

Those links are pretty cool! First time I've seen them.