Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:02 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi all...

Newbie here! Own a two toned Crosswind, and this, a mid to late Eighties Breitling Ellesse quartz. Bought it from original owner w/ box/papers purchased in Italy in 1989. I've tried researching it, but precious little info on the Web...rare perhaps? Saw one on ebay by some rocket scientist in Germany claiming it's one of only two known (his being the one offered on Ebay for about 17,000 USD.)....don't believe that. But, could be somewhat rare. Anyways, I can't size the darned thing...not the typical rouleaux bracelet. Anybody have experience of suggestions here?

Not sure how to post photo...but it is shown on the 1985 catalog on this site...I believe on pg. 13 or so....Breitling Ellesse

Thanks!

Saint[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Well, I haven't heard of that model myself. However, I would take it to an AD, preferably one you know of or could be referred to. I wouldn't get too excited about anything I see on eBay, that is using it as a guideline for the correct value of the watch, although at times it can be an indicator as to whether or not the piece is actually worth a lot.
I have an early 1980's Tudor Prince Oysterdate Ranger II that I dug out a few months ago. Out of curiosity I Googled the Model No. and style description. One of the responses was a guy in Asia who had one for sale, allegedly in mint condition and he was asking $3000.00. At first I was kind of blown away, because I only paid between $200-$300. I took my to my AD, and he did say that if it had a major servicing for a couple of hundred bucks, it would retail for about $2000.00. My whole point here is that the ad on Ebay did actually indicate that the thing was fairly valuable.
Anyway, I am curious about yours, too, when I have a minute I will also do a search. Let us know if you come up with anything more.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject: Thanks..
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:04 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
for the info! I've combed the Internet, and have had scant success...it's definately a legit model w/ supporting docs...w/ all the wealth of info on the web from forums and folks like you, I'd think it easier to find something substantive. The less info I find, the more I'm convinced I may have stumbled across a real find. A very unusual find in nice condition. Thanks for the assist.

Saint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well discount the $17k eBay listing - that's the lunatic Breitling Museum guy.

Breitling partnered with Ellesse in the mid to late 80s to produce Ellesse branded Breitlings, but I don't believe that the models were very successful, hence why you don't see too many of them around today. The same is true of many 80s era swiss quartz watches.

It's definitely uncommon, maybe even rare, but that doesn't necessarily mean valuable unfortunately.