The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:19 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I plan on getting a Breitling in the next month or so (yay, Annual Bonus) and am just doing some research.

What interests me is Breitling's asertion that 99% of watches on the Internet are fake and I was just wondering what other member's thoughts are?

Typing Breitling into Google returns thousand of retailers and I find it hard to believe they are all selling fakes. Surely some of them must be legit?

Anyone know of genuine/trustworthy ones?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:04 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Welcome Breezy!

If you look through the Feedback Forum here you will some discussion about some specific sellers. Many are selling genuine product, but in most cases the warranty paperwork from Breitling is not included -- instead you get the sellers warranty, and I would guess your exeperience in filing any sort fo claim would vary from seller to seller. You may still take it to Breitling, but you would have to pay. In other cases, the sellers have removed the serial numbers. In that case, it is my understanding that Breitling would never repair/service it, it would be solely between you and the seller, or some other repair shop to get regular maintenance and service.

The best advice I can give is to be patient. Go to your AD and get their best price -- remember this is a negotiation. Understand the warranty and return policy of any online seller (i.e. who pays for return shipping if something goes wrong, what is covered, how long will service take...etc). Ask questions about the condition of the watch (i.e. is the serial number intact, does it come with all the original packaging...). Lastly, be sure to familiarize yourself with the model you are interested in so you can spot a fake with reasonable certainty. If there is a shred of doubt, move on. There are always other opportunities to buy, but there may not be another opportunity to get your $4000 back.

Weigh all of those things and then decide if it is worth it. In my case it was not, I chose to buy from my AD. For some other people they decided it was worth it, and they have been satisfied. To each his own, just go in with your eyes open and understand that there is more to the transaction than just saving money.

Coral Club Founding Father
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:23 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

MoreCowbell wrote:
Welcome Breezy!

If you look through the Feedback Forum here you will some discussion about some specific sellers. Many are selling genuine product, but in most cases the warranty paperwork from Breitling is not included -- instead you get the sellers warranty, and I would guess your exeperience in filing any sort fo claim would vary from seller to seller. You may still take it to Breitling, but you would have to pay. In other cases, the sellers have removed the serial numbers. In that case, it is my understanding that Breitling would never repair/service it, it would be solely between you and the seller, or some other repair shop to get regular maintenance and service.

The best advice I can give is to be patient. Go to your AD and get their best price -- remember this is a negotiation. Understand the warranty and return policy of any online seller (i.e. who pays for return shipping if something goes wrong, what is covered, how long will service take...etc). Ask questions about the condition of the watch (i.e. is the serial number intact, does it come with all the original packaging...). Lastly, be sure to familiarize yourself with the model you are interested in so you can spot a fake with reasonable certainty. If there is a shred of doubt, move on. There are always other opportunities to buy, but there may not be another opportunity to get your $4000 back.

Weigh all of those things and then decide if it is worth it. In my case it was not, I chose to buy from my AD. For some other people they decided it was worth it, and they have been satisfied. To each his own, just go in with your eyes open and understand that there is more to the transaction than just saving money.

spoken like a true bargain hunter! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

MoreCowbell

Thanks for the info - some good food for thought.

Time for some research I think

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:03 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
Good advise. On line discounts may not be matched by your local AD but you should get something off list and have the peace of mind that only comes from buying there.

However, both Breitlings I have bought were no longer in production so the AD was not an option. Boards such as this one, T-Z or WUS are a good place to start but you may not find what you're looking for. Ebay is a minefield but there are lots of genuine sellers out there (me for instance!) amongst the cowboys. Take your time, do your research and always buy the seller, then the watch.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:59 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Hi Breezy,

I too echo what MoreCowbell said above.

However, if you're in the UK and want to look at other options than an AD, I would recommend Ian Blowers at

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/index.htm

I don't know him personally but he's a good friend of my (wise) godfather and has been a jeweller/watch-dealer for years and years.

Happy hunting.

Nick

Avenger Seawolf
Chrono Avenger
Aerospace
SOHC LE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:26 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I must admit, when I spend my hard-earned cash on a watch, I always go to an AD, I enjoy the experience, and they are always there if there's a problem in the future. Don't forget, always haggle with price, you may get a pleasant surprise :D

Panerai 112, Black Leather (Soon Hopefully!)

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hello

I live in Australia and watches over here are far more expensive than the US. I have brought 3 Breitlings and I Gucci watch for my girlfriend through Authenticwatches .com they are great, Great service and every watch i have brought I have sent it into Breitling Australia to makes sure it is authentic even though they come with all the booklets and papers and they have come back all fine, also I didnt have to pay import tax and saved over $3500 dollars on my Navitimer world I highly recomend Authenicwatches .com
Best of luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:18 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

All of my watches come from AD's and you can usually get a deal,and like others have said peace of mind knowing you are not sending your hard earned cash out with "hopes" of getting what you pay for. I guess I'm a touchy feely kinda guy and I want to hold it in my hand before I pay for it! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:45 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Agree...for current or recent models....AD all the way

if not current......buyer beware...bargains are there but be careful

Current:- Navi World, Coral SO, Panerai 219, Sea Dweller, Suunto Core etc

CORAL CLUB FOUNDING FATHER
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:08 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
See the feedback section......There are a few good reviews there.

~Brian