Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Deodorizing rubber strap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:46 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I have been looking around for quite a while now and there are several tips on how to clean different rubber straps, ranging from baking soda to boiling the strap and/or using carpet cleaning products.

My Pro Diver has a nasty smell which I need to get rid of. Does anyone know what works for the Breitling rubber straps? Is boiling a good idea? What might be harmful for the strap? What have you guys used?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:10 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

How badly and of what does your strap stink?

It would have to smell strongly of something really unpleasent for me to consider boiling anything... Just buy a new strap!

If I had to recondition a strap I would use an oil based cleaner because it will penetrate the material very well and stay there. Something like Orange Glo would certainly do the trick, if you like the smell of oranges. It might leave a sheen/oily residue on the strap.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Iantheklutz wrote:
How badly and of what does your strap stink?

It would have to smell strongly of something really unpleasent for me to consider boiling anything... Just buy a new strap!

If I had to recondition a strap I would use an oil based cleaner because it will penetrate the material very well and stay there. Something like Orange Glo would certainly do the trick, if you like the smell of oranges. It might leave a sheen/oily residue on the strap.

It smells of sweat, perfume etc. It dont use it that often so it isnt worth buying a new one but if I can get rid of the smell I can use it for going to the beach etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:15 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

You could try Hydrogen peroxide, Rubbing alcohol, or a Salt water bath. All should work well. Make sure you test a little spot on it first to make sure no damage is done to the rubber.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
JustinFournier wrote:
You could try Hydrogen peroxide, Rubbing alcohol, or a Salt water bath. All should work well. Make sure you test a little spot on it first to make sure no damage is done to the rubber.

You should absolutely not use any of the three suggestions you made. All of them will heavily reduce the life of a rubber strap, as rubber will disintegrate when in contact with all three of them.

Intead, start with water and a mild soap solution. If that doesn't help, you could either try to boil the rubber (as rubber will withstand 100 C, but make sure it doesn't sit on the bottom of your vessel as it is hotter there) or a rubber cleaning product, like the one already suggested.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:47 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Disintigrate the rubber? What kinda rubber is a Diver's watch strap in question made out of?

I have a 15+ year old Seiko Dive watch that has served as my back up timing device on hundreds on Cold water ocean dives, with it's original rubber strap. I've cleaned it 30+ times with 99% Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and at least 6 times with hydrogen peroxide when I didn't have any alcohol about. It is a little oxodized on the surface, which of course is due to it's age and even could be partially due the solvent effects from the cleaners.

I've use a couple different car care products designed for vinyl/plastics, Vasoline and even silicone based O-ring lube to return it to it's factory fresh shine and apearance. Just wipe em on and wipe em off, leaves no residue as the rubber absorbs the oil in it.

I guess it could disintigrate the rubber, but if it's going 15+ years and still looks brand new, that is more then an acceptable lifespan for me! And it doesn't have that Bacteria eating the rotting dead skin cells from a watch worn daily smell ever!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
I'm quite interested in this thread as I always take mine off when cooking. Don't want chopped onion smell or 'eau de steak' on my watch.

Maybe a warm-through in a Bain-Marie with a little vinegar? :poke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:57 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Take it off during cooking, that is something I never thought of.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:28 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
You guys sure you're wearing these straps on your wrists???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:49 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
@ JustinFournier: such is the wisdom of age.

@ Sharky: hate to ask what you cook with.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
JustinFournier wrote:
Disintigrate the rubber? What kinda rubber is a Diver's watch strap in question made out of?

I have a 15+ year old Seiko Dive watch that has served as my back up timing device on hundreds on Cold water ocean dives, with it's original rubber strap. I've cleaned it 30+ times with 99% Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and at least 6 times with hydrogen peroxide when I didn't have any alcohol about. It is a little oxodized on the surface, which of course is due to it's age and even could be partially due the solvent effects from the cleaners.

I've use a couple different car care products designed for vinyl/plastics, Vasoline and even silicone based O-ring lube to return it to it's factory fresh shine and apearance. Just wipe em on and wipe em off, leaves no residue as the rubber absorbs the oil in it.

I guess it could disintigrate the rubber, but if it's going 15+ years and still looks brand new, that is more then an acceptable lifespan for me! And it doesn't have that Bacteria eating the rotting dead skin cells from a watch worn daily smell ever!

I have to admit, I was a bit quick on the reply there. Let's put it this way - any rubber that is in constant contact with either H2O2, alcohol or salt water will deteriorate and needs to be replaced over time. Time will be longer for salt water, and much shorter for H2O2. In this case it's not soaking though, so both alcohol and salt water should be just fine as long as you rinse the rubber afterwards. Especially the salt water, as you otherwise might see where drops have dried. I wouldn't recommend cleaning with H2O2 though. H2O2 is highly reactive and will most likely start degrading your rubber from the beginning, giving first a dull surface.

My MSc in polymer science should be worth something, unless I slept through the lessons... :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:44 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

I certianly wouldn't suggest a Hydrogen peroxide bath! As you said, it's highly reactive, a very strong oxidizer. I used a cotton ball and wiped down the strap the case, and then rinsed it throughly. I'll go pull the watch out of the drawer and take a pic.

Watch goes in every 2-3 years for a new battery, and new seal to make sure it's ok. Never been a leak once.

If you were wondering why I use the methods I do, I'm a Marine biologist, well I was up untill the economy almost died, and it is very important to ensure items being moved between exhibits are sterilized if there is any risk of cross contamination. Also, in quarantine tanks, or when in the watch is out in the wild before it goes into a facility, or before it goes out to the wild after being in an exhibit. Normally I take it off, but sometimes I need it or forget :)

EDIT: Battery is dead on the camera. Will update a pic ASAP!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:04 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Here is the watch (strap) in question.

Manufactured in the 3rd quarter of 1995, so it's 15 years old with the original strap. Cleaned as stated above. I would expect more from a Breitling dive strap then I would this Seiko strap considering it cost more then twice what this whole watch did. Sorry for the bad pics, crap camera & worse lighting!

Attachment:
DSC08780.JPG

Attachment:
DSC08779.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.