Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:32 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
From the 3rd Jan:
Hi I have just collected my Montbrilliant Datora from servicing, however I have noticed that if you hold the Bezel at 20 to2 or 10 to 4 you can rock the bezel and whist doing this you can see the hair line gap between the face and the slide rule rule open and close. Also if you tap the glass with your fingure, you can hear the same dull clunk that you can get when you rock the crown :? I have been told by the dealer that they have seen this before, recently on a Navitimer and is down to a new neoprene seal ?!

This seal is new design to stop the bezel seizing, I have to say I'm not convinced. Given the choice I think I would prefere the old type of seal that after time can seize, as this just makes the watch seem poorly built. :(

Has any one else heard of this ???

Update: I have spoken to a very helpfull lady at Breitling UK who said if I send the watch back , she will have it inspected by a technician and report. :)

I will let you know what happens.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Definately keep us posted. This kind of information can be useful for future reference :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:08 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

breitlingsource wrote:
Definately keep us posted. This kind of information can be useful for future reference :)

The watch is back at Breitling UK, still awaiting the result of an inspection. I will post as soon as I hear. :D Allthough I have been told that the dull clonking noise when the glass is tapped is normall with this model :? We will see.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:45 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Ok the Montbrilliant is back with a nice letter from Breitling UK, explaining it has been inspected and that no fault was found.
The dull clonking noise and the play in the bezel is the way it has to be so that it can rotate properly. The clonking noise is the seal compressing and the bezel botteming out on the case.
I have to say that Breitling UK could not have been more freindly and helpfull, I just find it odd that the watch never did this from new and no one elses Navitimer or Montbrilliant does this that I have aware off :?
Unless someone knows any different??
Does yours give a dull clonk if you tap the glass???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:03 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Interesting about the loose bezel..I just bought my first Breitling - an Airwolf w/steel bracelet - and have noticed that the bezel is loose. I pointed it out to the sales assistant in the shop and he said that all Breitlings have loose bezels, as opposed to Rolexes for example that have very tight bezels. I said ok but was suprised at the amount of give in the bezel when I move it - for e.g. if I hold the bezel at the 9oc and 3oc positions between thumb and forefinger I can move the bezel from side to side about a full millimeter without moving the watch! The slide rule inside the watch face doesn't move..just the outside bezel.

Not the same problem you are referring to a11 but Is it a case that all Breitlings have loose bezels??

Andre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
The bezel's on my Breitlings is tight, not loose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:17 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I would not say ALL Breitlings.
I have a SuperOcean and can't move the bezel even a whisker.

Coral Club Founding Father
:coralclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:00 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hmm thanks very much for the info..think I will go back to the dealer (3 hrs away unfortunately!) and get them to take a look..will also compare to another Airwolf if they have one..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
The only Breitlings that I have had that have a "loose" bezel are the B-1 and B-2 with the Slide Rule Gear system. The Motors and Motors T that I have both have relatively tighter bezels, even though they use a similar mechanism, however.

All the rest of my Rider-Tab Breitlings and Navi's have perfect snug and tight bezels..

But like they say.. isn't Rolex better in every way? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:46 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
Wait a moment....
Before calling the R-brand better, You should have a look at their models with a rotating slide ruler. Cool transparent dials, cool transparent movements, cool transparent case and bracelet. The bezel does not rock, as You cannot put Your fingers on it.

There are 3 different types of bezels:

1. Diver Bezel. (Windrider, Aeromarine, Aerospace)
Turnable counterclockwise only, there is a small metal spring inside, that can corrode with saltwater contact, then it blocks or breaks. (leading either to a not turning bezel or a free floating bezel) Easy to repair.

2. Slide ruler (Navitimer) This is a simple mechanical system, but there are two extremes: Tight: the watch is waterproof, the bezel nearly unturnable. Loose: The watch is definitely not waterproof at all, the bezel rotates easily. That used to be the case in the "Old Navitimer". Watches with a slide ruler are intended for airworks and not for diving.

3. 2 parts slideruler with transmission (B1, B2, Skyracer, Airwolf) Here they have found a combination for the waterproof watch with a bezel easy to turn. Just imagine that system on a Navitimer, and You get a 60mm watch, that is 20 mm thick. (maybe I would wear that!)

For all three bezels there is allways a slight possibility, that small dust (specially tiny fragments from steel manufacturing) can block the whole system.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:39 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Who thought bezels could be so interesting!! I understand now why the bezel moves but the slide rule does not on my Airwolf with the 2 part rule.

You mention the two extremes in the Navimeter - Wouldn't it be odd that such an obvious thing as a loose bezel is not noticed in quality checking after final assembly? Makes me wonder if it is an acceptable tolerance but you would think that with the modern manufacturing methods that Breitling use, as evident from the video on their website, that such large tolerances wouldn't exist?

Or maybe I am expecting too much perfection!!