The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:12 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Excuse me for asking this simple question. I have owned a chronomat since 1997. While setting the time, it is never advised to move the hands of the watch backwards between about 2am and 8pm. Doing so would damage the calendar mechanism on the watch. This is explicitly stated in the owners manual.

Today I purchased a Navitimer. In order to set the date the instruction manual says to, "move the hands forwards and backwards between 8pm and midnight." This is a direct quote from the owner's manual.

Would doing this damage the watch? Basically, I am wondering if you can move the hands backwards around midnight with the Navitimer, or if you should only move them forwards as is generally accepted for the chronomat series. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
ctmartin wrote:
Excuse me for asking this simple question. I have owned a chronomat since 1997. While setting the time, it is never advised to move the hands of the watch backwards between about 2am and 8pm. Doing so would damage the calendar mechanism on the watch. This is explicitly stated in the owners manual.

Today I purchased a Navitimer. In order to set the date the instruction manual says to, "move the hands forwards and backwards between 8pm and midnight." This is a direct quote from the owner's manual.

Would doing this damage the watch? Basically, I am wondering if you can move the hands backwards around midnight with the Navitimer, or if you should only move them forwards as is generally accepted for the chronomat series. Thanks!

The problem with changing the date between around 8pm and 3am is with the quick set date mechanism - i.e. the date change without affecting the time.

The date change mechanism is partially / fully engaged with the main watch mechanism between those times and there is a danger of stripping teeth if you use the quick set date.

There is never a problem with adjusting the time between those hours - i.e. moving the hour and minute hands, and in a watch without a quick set date the date is changed by winding backwards and forwards around midnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:38 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks for the clarification!