Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:54 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi guys,
First of all apologies if i’m posting in the wrong section.
Recently i bought my first Breitling which is a 2004 Colt Automatic. It’s working fine and was serviced officially a year ago.
As i’m new in the automatic watches, i would like to ask a question regarding the process of winding. I don’t want to break a 900€ piece, as for me for me was quite a big investment...
Anyway, i’m wearing the watch mostly in the weekend as during the week i prefer a smart watch in work.
My question will be: do i have to wind it throughout the week or just before i use it in the weekend?It’s full stopped before i start using it and i notice that it starts moving straight away after i take it in my hand. Some people recommend it to me to keep it on a winder during the week.
I would really appreciate some advice here...maybe my question will sound stupid but this is my first automatic watch as i said.
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:50 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
Congratulations on your new acquisition. The choice of how to manage your watch is yours and what’s the most convenient for you. The biggest enemy of an automatic watch is leaving it for long periods in a ‘dormant’ state. Then the oils can settle and congeal causing problems down the line. As you wear your watch regularly this should not be a problem. A winder will keep your watch topped up if the winding reserve is reasonably high when you put it on the winder. As your watch will have a power reserve of at least a couple of days, winding it every now and then through the week will keep it running. Don’t leave it resting for long periods and you shouldn’t have a problem.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:21 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
I have a reasonably sizeable collection, so many of my watches sit idle for extended periods. Contrary to the advice provided by @zak57 above, I don’t believe this is an issue because modern lubricants are less likely to "gum up" and cause problems. However, if you want to keep your watch going, you certainly can hand wind it anytime you like. With regards to watch winders, my opinion is that they are an unnecessary expense unless you have a perpetual or annual calendar watch, where the benefit is that you don’t have to go through a more extensive date setting process before you wear it again after it has stopped. Your Colt is neither of those.