Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: polishing ??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:42 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I bought a Crosswind racing with a leather band a few years back. I soon HAD to have a two tone Pilots bracelet. My problem is that the watch case is not high polished as is the bracelet. I would like to get the case polished much like an evo. When I sent the watch in for servicing I asked if this could be done and was politely told no. Any ideas on who may do it in New england ??? I have tried a few Jewelers and have basically been told they wont touch it.

Post subject: Re: polishing ??
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:31 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
dudits wrote:
I bought a Crosswind racing with a leather band a few years back. I soon HAD to have a two tone Pilots bracelet. My problem is that the watch case is not high polished as is the bracelet. I would like to get the case polished much like an evo. When I sent the watch in for servicing I asked if this could be done and was politely told no. Any ideas on who may do it in New england ??? I have tried a few Jewelers and have basically been told they wont touch it.

I think you'll probably need to find an AD that is also a regional repair centre. I spoke to one this side of the pond about this kind of thing very recently (when I got my new Steelfish) whether it would be possible to have the bracelet polished up and they said it'd be no problem. I'm not doing that now incidentally, but they quoted less than £50. Have a look on the Breitling website for regional (non-primary) repair agents.

Sending it back to Breitling (i.e. to the Primary Service Centre) will get the "no chance" response as they will not customise from the standard look. And other non-AD jewellers may not like to touch something as expensive as a Breitling.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:40 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
I asked around locally and found a jeweller that would polish my Steelfish and bracelet. I assumed that it would be fairly simple, since the brushed finish is pretty fine. I think the jeweller assumed the same thing, only charged me $100 and said that it would probably be finished that day (I dropped it off in the afternoon). When I finally picked it up, I was told that it took two days and that they would never do another.

The moral of this story is that you have to find someone who is familar with the work involved and can discuss it with you through experience. The polishing job I got was not the best, but I couldn't complain since I paid so little and the jeweller was already pissed.

There is another thread here about polishing a Steelfish; through that thread, I got two leads to jewellers, one in California and one in Florida, who have polished Breitlings. If you can't find the thread or can't get the names of any jewellers who will do the work, feel free to PM me.

Chrono Avenger, Grey Dial, Pro II
Steelfish, Black Dial, Ocean Racer
Super Avenger, White Dial, Pro II
Casio GWG-1000-1A3 Mudmaster
Sinn UX