It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Kay,

Don't worry about the caseback being different - it wasn't at all unusual for minor variations like that from year to year, and obviously with provenance from new you don't have to worry about whether it is genuine.

Accurate pricing is going to be difficult for the reasons that were identified earlier in this thread - there aren't too many 2003s around. I'll take a look in the guide and see what similar models are shown for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:56 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Most of the Top Times on leather are showing guide prices of $700 - $850. That seems a little low to me, and given that you aren't looking to sell I would certainly be looking at a valuation of $1,500 - $2,000 for insurance purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:05 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Cheers for that info, I see you're in Canada, so is that Canadian $? I'm in the UK. The strap isn't original by the way, that wore out a few years ago, but it was a black croc type one originally.

I'm surprised it seems so rare. If the other guy's was made in 1964 they must have been making the same design for a few years? Looking at other websites the only ones I've found have the round buttons for the stopwatch etc. which make them look so much more bulky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Kay wrote:
Cheers for that info, I see you're in Canada, so is that Canadian $? I'm in the UK. The strap isn't original by the way, that wore out a few years ago, but it was a black croc type one originally.

I'm surprised it seems so rare. If the other guy's was made in 1964 they must have been making the same design for a few years? Looking at other websites the only ones I've found have the round buttons for the stopwatch etc. which make them look so much more bulky.

I actually meant US$, but US and Canadian $ are about the same right now.

I wouldn't necessarily see the 2003 as especially 'rare' - there were a lot of different variations on Top Times, some available for longer than others and some obviously more popular than others - it may simply be that it was produced for a shorter period of time and was less popular than new than some of the other Top Times - could simply be the preference in the market for round pushers over square, etc.