Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Restored vs. Maintained
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:54 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
As you may have been able to tell from recent posts I am starting to look seriously at some vintage Breitlings, specifically 1940s. I just love the classic look of that era.

This piece is on the Bay right now - http://cgi.ebay.com/100-AUTHENTIC-BREIT ... dZViewItem

Not sure I would bid on it - the 6 is a little too stylized for my liking, but it brought up an interesting question.

This piece looks stunning for a watch that is 65 years old, maybe partly because of the high quality photography, but in large part I suspect due to restoration. Clearly this makes it a more practical watch, but I think it takes away from some of the character that the older watches have - it almost looks like a 'new' old fashioned watch.

What do you guys think - do you like this 'good as new' look, or do you prefer a more worn look and feel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:31 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Personally, I like it better than one that looks aged. I think it would be an incredible to restore a watch like this, but having it already done is even better.

I think it's very classy looking. This gets my vote.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Flynbyu wrote:
Personally, I like it better than one that looks aged. I think it would be an incredible to restore a watch like this, but having it already done is even better.

I think it's very classy looking. This gets my vote.

~Brian

I must admit it's starting to grow on me. It's a good looking piece, ignoring the age factor - I guess the only thing holding me back (apart from the 6) is just wondering how much of it is 'original'.

Definitely going to be watching the auction for the next couple of days....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I'm not a vintage collector, and I like my watches clean. I would rather have one that was restored, though in the Vintage world I believe that is typically looked at as a negative thing... but I'm not really all that familiar :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
A properly done restoration is usually something special. I emailed the seller when he first advertised the watch about the serial number on the watch not matching the written description. It is from the forties though. It's tough to gauge the authenticity of the Breitling 18k watches due to their lack of the normal Breitling marks on the back. The serial number and model numbers look ok though.

Paul L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:11 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Just to close the loop on this - some people wanted this watch very badly - went for $3000 in the end - went up over $700 in the last few minutes - a bit too rich for me for a watch that can't be a regular wearer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:28 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:
Just to close the loop on this - some people wanted this watch very badly - went for $3000 in the end - went up over $700 in the last few minutes - a bit too rich for me for a watch that can't be a regular wearer.

That was a lot of money for that particular watch. It's the 18k that drove the price up even though it was a nice piece.

Here's a pic of my next project Breitling. It looks a lot like the gold 18k as far as style. It's a 1950 Ref 1192 and it runs good. The plating is pretty worn though so I'll have it redone. It needs a crystal too and there's a little spot, which looks like an oil spot or something, near the 5 which I don't know if it will clean up or not. I'd rather not have the dial redone but after it's been replated and has a new crystal the dial could be a detriment.

Paul L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Nice looking watch Paul - although I'm not a big fan of Arabic numbers I prefer the font on that to the more stylized, if fewer in number on the one on the Bay. I know that if I'm going to build a collection of 40s watches I'm going to have to get used to Arabics anyway.

Agree with you on the reason for the price - I guess with the recent gold price increases people are looking specifically for gold pieces, but the price still seems high.

Being in Canada US pieces are very attractive right now with the exchange rate, but not at any price.

I may be interested in that 1192 when it's done if you are interested - the 40s included 1950 right :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:28 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:
Nice looking watch Paul - although I'm not a big fan of Arabic numbers I prefer the font on that to the more stylized, if fewer in number on the one on the Bay. I know that if I'm going to build a collection of 40s watches I'm going to have to get used to Arabics anyway.

Thought you might like this one I bought this morning. Another 1950 Ref 1188.

Paul L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:54 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Very nice - and that's what a vintage should look like - solid case and crystal, a practical crown but still the beautiful patina on the face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
How big are most of those vintage Lings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:16 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

breitlingsource wrote:

Small by today's standards - the one that started this thread was 38mm, many would have been smaller - was looking at a 35.5mm earlier today. The 806 from the 50s / 60s was 40mm I believe.

I'm sure that Breitling made larger watches, I'll defer to Paul's far greater knowledge. Certainly big watches are nothing new - the 60mm Egyptian Navy Panerai that I posted a picture of a few weeks back came from the 50s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

breitlingsource wrote:

33-35mm for most of the vintage Breitling stuff. The one I purchased today is unusual in that it's 37mm minus crown. There were a few that large but mostly 3-register watches. The Nav's and Cosmonauts are at least 40mm. The Chronomats went from around 35mm to 40mm. I like the idea of using a Bund style strap to give the smaller chrono's a little more presence. Not a Breitling but here's a pic of my early forties Zodiac. It's also 35mm.

Paul