The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:04 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Can anyone help me out with some additional information about this particular model? The date is in Spanish~! I have never seen this model before. It's also an automatic. By the way I'm new here but love the Breitling watches~! Thanks everyone

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0141321095

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:32 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well you don't see that very often!

It's certainly largely original, and I think it's completely correct. I'm no expert on these pieces, but I don't see anything particularly wrong - the hands look correct, the dial's right - I really like it.

The /2 variation is likely an indication that the day window is at 6 o'clock, the regular 2528 had the day window at 12 o'clock.

The movement should be a Felsa 4000, and I think that's what you've got - but these early auto movements are not my specialty by a long shot.

The serial dates it to 1952 - early, but OK, and I think it's a nice piece.

More importantly - welcome to BreitlingSource.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Someone got it for $500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:44 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

In2Deep wrote:
Someone got it for $500

So they paid fair market then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I have no clue what market is for the vintage pieces, that's why I stay away and leave it up to the experts. I would love to find a good vintage diver someday though. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

I'm going to be honest with you guys...

This is my first vintage... (actually first VINTAGE Breitling). And I made that offer for $500. The early navitimers and such were such a temptation but I wasn't sure of authenticity, reading about "frankenwatches" and so forth. You guys have been so much help. I just got it today, and it ticks away like new. I guess maybe I lucked out, or from extensive research from forums like this, I was able to make a wise decision (and a not too expensive one either)

Lately I've got the bug for vintage watches and I have been shopping around for quite awhile. Looked at rolexes, pateks (which cost an arm and a leg by the way) and Breitlings. But I have to say, Breitlings are super sweet.

One more question, (but shouldn't be my last)

What should I do about the case? I would like to sorta make look a little newer if possible. Any suggestions on how to make it look a little "newer"?

I shall be back... I've gotten bitten by the vintage "Breitling" watch bug. And thanks to everyone~!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:04 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jlee5050 wrote:
I'm going to be honest with you guys...

This is my first vintage... (actually first VINTAGE Breitling). And I made that offer for $500. The early navitimers and such were such a temptation but I wasn't sure of authenticity, reading about "frankenwatches" and so forth. You guys have been so much help. I just got it today, and it ticks away like new. I guess maybe I lucked out, or from extensive research from forums like this, I was able to make a wise decision (and a not too expensive one either)

Lately I've got the bug for vintage watches and I have been shopping around for quite awhile. Looked at rolexes, pateks (which cost an arm and a leg by the way) and Breitlings. But I have to say, Breitlings are super sweet.

One more question, (but shouldn't be my last)

What should I do about the case? I would like to sorta make look a little newer if possible. Any suggestions on how to make it look a little "newer"?

I shall be back... I've gotten bitten by the vintage "Breitling" watch bug. And thanks to everyone~!

Always happy to help - ask away, especially if you are going to find some of these more unusual pieces. $500 is about what this is worth, so no issue there. Keep an idea on the timekeeping, it may need a service, but if it's keeping decent time then no worries.

The case doesn't look like it's in too bad a condition, just a bit scratched. You can try polishing it yourself with either Cape Cod or Sunshine cloths (easily found online and plenty of articles on here about them) or have it professionally polished. Just be aware that polishing will remove some of the metal. I'm assuming that it is steel and not chromed!

It's had some TLC in the past, the dial must have been restored / refinished at some point to look that good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:23 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

One more question... this watch has the day and the date (number). I'm trying to match up the correct day with the date and I can't seem to do it. When i pull the crown and wind the watch forward, the day and date move TOGETHER. Do I have a problem with the movement then or do I have to set this thing at a certain time and hope it will match up (like in 50 years) :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jlee5050 wrote:
One more question... this watch has the day and the date (number). I'm trying to match up the correct day with the date and I can't seem to do it. When i pull the crown and wind the watch forward, the day and date move TOGETHER. Do I have a problem with the movement then or do I have to set this thing at a certain time and hope it will match up (like in 50 years) :lol:

I'm not familiar with the movement in these, but you should be able to set them separately. Is there a button in the side of the case on the non crown side?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:03 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Hey guess what Roff...

I e-mailed the seller and he told me these do not have a quickset feature. What you had to do was pull the stem out, wind the minute hand to 2 clockwise, and then counter clockwise turn it back to 10 to set the date.

At first when I got the watch, I tried to wind it counter clockwise and of course I can feel the resistance. I figured that can't be good but when I set it at 2 and tried it, it works like a charm~!

I guess you learn something new everyday huh? Thanks anyway for the help!