The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Not a bad looking watch with a well worn case and crystal. I think Craig (chronodeco) could have fixed it up nicely. Might have looked nice gold plated. Not a bad purchase for $256.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
You think that caseback's original Paul?

Numbers look OK, but the rest of it looks odd. Mind you - for that price, as you say there is very little risk.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Roffensian wrote:

Numbers look OK, but the rest of it looks odd. Mind you - for that price, as you say there is very little risk.

I think the case back is original. I've seen a few from this time period that are the same. Breitling did throw some oddballs out there in the late forties and I believe that's because the war years but supply into limbo for some of the watchmakers. That's why you can find other brands, like Welsbro chrono's, with the same Breitling reference and serial numbers. I've had quite a few different Welsbro Ref 178 chrono's. The seller didn't have a pic of the movement but nobody puts together a fake watch with a case in as poor a condition as this, right? :D

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:46 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

vintage wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

I think the case back is original. I've seen a few from this time period that are the same. Breitling did throw some oddballs out there in the late forties and I believe that's because the war years but supply into limbo for some of the watchmakers. That's why you can find other brands, like Welsbro chrono's, with the same Breitling reference and serial numbers. I've had quite a few different Welsbro Ref 178 chrono's. The seller didn't have a pic of the movement but nobody puts together a fake watch with a case in as poor a condition as this, right? :D

Paul

Didn't know about the Welsbros - but it makes sense.

I agree on the movement - I try very hard to never buy a watch without a movement photo, but in this case I think it's a fairly low risk - the hands have to be attached to something so the case can't be empty. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
While researching this watch after purchasing, I spotted this post. Since you expressed an interest in what the hands might be attached to, I took a look inside and out. The picture aren't the greatest because my camera isn't the greatest, but at least you can see what the hands are attached to now.

The case is in very rough shape, but I actually like the aging on the dial/hands. It could do with a cleaning though.

I can't judge the state of the movement, as this is the first chronograph movement I've seen up close. It doesn't run, but that's about all I can tell for sure.

Paul (May I call you Paul? I don't want to seem overly familiar but I'm never sure about the rules in this type of format.) I saw the mention above of Craig(chronodeco). I checked out his website and I can see he does nice work. Have you ever sent him a watch in a condition as bad as this and if so, how did it turn out?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

That's a nice resolution - and the movement looks fine.

I'll let Paul speak for himself on Craig's abilities, but there are a couple of threads on here with some before / after pictures of Craig's work.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:21 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
The for pointing out the other threads, I'll check those out. Good to know the movement looks okay.