The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
This one showed up on ebay today and it's refreshing to see one that hasn't been modified or butchered. I think that's a Venus 150 movement and everything looks right. Looks like a new crystal might lighten up that dial a bit.

Paul

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Breitling-Premier-Chronograph-18-kt-Rose-Gold_W0QQitemZ270351534096QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Thanks Paul - was hoping this one would slide through :guns: :wink:

I agree with you that it looks good, which is why it was in my watch list. Interested to why you are thinking 150 - I immediately pegged it as a 175, and checking Richter he has the 760 (I think that's a 6) as a 176. We both know that's not gospel, but the bridge doesn't look right for a 150 to me.

Obviously in need of a little TLC, but the dial looks recoverable, and there's not too much oxidation in the case.

Only thing that's slightly unusual is the lack of the 3 minute markers on the chronograph minutes dial.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Sorry 'bout that. Hate that when it happens to me.

Your probably correct in that the movement is a 175. The 150 is a 13 ligne movement while the 175 is a 14 ligne movement. The shape of the bridge would indicate it's probably a 175 unless the bridge was replaced at sometime, which wasn't all that uncommon.

The watch dates to 1945 which is about the time that the 3 minute markers were starting to be used on the dials. Since this was during the war years I figure they used up what dials they had before implementing the 3 minute markers.

Paul
Roffensian wrote:
Thanks Paul - was hoping this one would slide through :guns: :wink:

I agree with you that it looks good, which is why it was in my watch list. Interested to why you are thinking 150 - I immediately pegged it as a 175, and checking Richter he has the 760 (I think that's a 6) as a 176. We both know that's not gospel, but the bridge doesn't look right for a 150 to me.

Obviously in need of a little TLC, but the dial looks recoverable, and there's not too much oxidation in the case.

Only thing that's slightly unusual is the lack of the 3 minute markers on the chronograph minutes dial.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:38 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
Everything look correct accept for the poorly refinished dial. I have a good original I'll sell for $100 if you buy it. Should make the watch worth around $200 to $300 more. Craig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

chronodeco wrote:
Everything look correct accept for the poorly refinished dial. I have a good original I'll sell for $100 if you buy it. Should make the watch worth around $200 to $300 more. Craig

If I buy it you can keep the dial and use it when you service the piece for me :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:14 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sure. Thanks, Craig

Post subject: 18K Premier
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:17 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Roff - did you see this one? I have the sub second hand and/or the 4th wheel. Craig
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Breitling-P ... 240%3A1318

Post subject: Re: 18K Premier
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

chronodeco wrote:
Roff - did you see this one? I have the sub second hand and/or the 4th wheel. Craig
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Breitling-P ... 240%3A1318

Yeah I did Craig - although maybe not as seriously as now knowing that you have the parts. Looks like it already has some interest - 16 bids already so it may be heading north, but there's definitely some value there at this point.

Movement looks very clean on that one (although the broken stem for the subdial is a little disconcerting).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:40 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

So here's a question for Craig and Paul.....

I've heard a lot of explanations as to why there are sometimes gaps in the serial numbers from year to year, but nothing satisfactory - do you guys have any reliable explanation?

Reason I ask is that 1946 ends at 692xxx, 1947 starts at 703562 and the one that Craig posted is 703150.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:33 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Got me on that one. I have never researched the serial numbers. Craig

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I've heard all kinds of stories about pre-releases / prototypes / etc, but that doesn't make sense to me as December / January isn't when those would be done. The gap for some years (like this example) is also way too big. I suspect that it's just bad record keeping, but no evidence to back that up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:42 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Well, I didn't get either. The first one was sitting with no bids late on and I was on a flight when it ended. I decided to leave it in the hope that it wouldn't get any bids and I would be able to contact the seller afterwards to do a deal at a better price. As it happens it went for one bid at the starting price of $799 - someone got a good deal.

The other one ended up being full money for what it is and the condition it's in - it just sold for $1,775 - up almost $300 in the last seconds. With the current ridiculous exchange rate that's over $2,300 Canadian which is way too much - by the time I factor in shipping, repairs and servicing I'm looking at the best part of C$3,000 - way too much, and there are plenty more out there.

Annoyed that the ending time on the first one was when I was out of touch though!