The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
I'm quite interested in this watch and would like some insight...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... otohosting

Last edited by rovensail on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Little Help?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Nice to see an 806 again - they've been a bit sparse over the lst few weeks.

So, seller is claiming this to be a first generation piece which generally speaking means a 1950s watch - rice bezel, black subs, all black slide rule, old style hands. The serial number dates this to 1960, which is definitely in the transition period from first generation to second, but is not any indication that this watch is wrong - anything up until 1963 is OK.

The hands are generally correct for the first generation, although the chronograph sub dial hands (3 and 6 o'clock) are not original - and the seller admits that. I'm also not convinced that the outer slide rule is original - all black is correct but the numbers seem too thick for a genuine one - almost as if the font were bold rather than regular.

The BOW stamp on the balance cock is consistent with a Breitling movement, but it's less common than movements with WOG or with no stamp. It's always slightly suspicious when you see it because it's rare, but in this case I don't see anything suspicious. You can also see the 178 on the same photo that shows the balance cock, and of course this is a Venus 178 movement. The bridge looks good, but I am slightly surprised to see 'Breitling Watch Corp' - usually the bridges that have the single row of curved text like this have 'Breitling Watch Ltd'. Breitling Watch Corp was used but usually on other style bridges.

The caseback looks correct, the Breitling and B logo look correct for the period, although there isn't a close up picture of the outer caseback. The serial number being inside the caseback is correct.

In summary, it's a good, if not exceptional example - certainly one of the better ones that you see, and the price will likely reflect that by the time it's done. It will be interesting to see where this goes in terms of price, the economy has been subduing prices on these lately, which I personally think is a good thing - the market was starting to get out of hand for good condition 806s.

Post subject: Re: Little Help?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
wow! thank you roff! you are indeed a wealth of knowledge and information!