Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:12 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi folks - New to this forum.
I have an old Breitling and can't seem to access registration numbers to find out what it is.
I suspect that is a Top Time. It looks precisely like the photo in the 'Top Time' information wanted' post below; however, its blue dial/gold hands does not have "Top Time" printed on it-just "Breitling Geneve/Incabloc/Antimagnetic/Swiss Made." I can't post pictures although I have tried. The serial number is 940198. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Regards-
js

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
jsecunda wrote:
Hi folks - New to this forum.
I have an old Breitling and can't seem to access registration numbers to find out what it is.
I suspect that is a Top Time. It looks precisely like the photo in the 'Top Time' information wanted' post below; however, its blue dial/gold hands does not have "Top Time" printed on it-just "Breitling Geneve/Incabloc/Antimagnetic/Swiss Made." I can't post pictures although I have tried. The serial number is 940198. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Regards-
js

Really do need pictures to comment accurately. If they are too big to attach to your post then follow these instructions - viewforum.php?f=5

The serial number dates to 1961, which makes me doubt that it's a Top Time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:12 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks so much.

[img][IMG]http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/jsecunda/th_b-front.jpg[/img]
Image[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Hmmm,

Need to look this one up - that caseback makes me nervous. I'll check the books this evening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:21 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks again. I've tried to attach a photo of the movement, as well
[img][IMG]http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu40/jsecunda/rm1223m.jpg[/img][/img]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:51 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I hate posts like this.

I don't think that your watch is a genuine Breitling, rather it's a frankenwatch - an assembly of parts from various watches.

The caseback is wrong - the Breitling logo is no where near refined enough, it's been added to a blank caseback. The serial number is also way too large, and it's also wrong - as I indicated before you posted pictures it dates to 1961, which is way too early for the dial.

The movement is a Valjoux 7736, but it's been through the wars - the balance cock (the piece of metal on the right in the picture) has had a hole drilled through it, presumably for a screw ro hold it in a case at some point in it's life. Breitling did use this movement, but I think that the Breitling engraving on the bridge has been added later - it's the wrong engraving for a genuine bridge - it should say Breitling Wathc Co.

The case and dial could be from a Breitling - I can't see the logo because of the hands so hard to tell if it is a real dial or a blank that has been engraved.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:42 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks so much for your help. I purchased this from Finer Times as they have a good reputation as reported by net folks, at least. In any event, they promptly offered to take it back and apologized.

So.......if one were looking for a manual wind, everyday Breitling-not a collector's piece at all, necessarily-are there sites/people that you recommend? Reading your posts, it seems possible to get such a watch for $1000 or slightly under. The question is where to look and who to trust.....

Thanks again for the rescue-
JS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jsecunda wrote:
Thanks so much for your help. I purchased this from Finer Times as they have a good reputation as reported by net folks, at least. In any event, they promptly offered to take it back and apologized.

So.......if one were looking for a manual wind, everyday Breitling-not a collector's piece at all, necessarily-are there sites/people that you recommend? Reading your posts, it seems possible to get such a watch for $1000 or slightly under. The question is where to look and who to trust.....

Thanks again for the rescue-
JS

$1,000 bucks will get you a decent watch if you aren't particularly concerned about the model. Every watch is different, and every dealer can make mistakes so hard to recommend a single source. The only one I will recommend is Old World Jewellers - they have the NOS supplies from the 1978 bankruptcy and still have a few pieces close to (but over) your price. Take a look here - http://www.ewatchshow.com/browse/watch-nos/1

Other than that, be very careful of eBay - even the 100% sellers, and especially South American sourced pieces, and don't be afraid to post here to get opinions before committing.

Post subject: SHAME ON FINER TIMES....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:35 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
they should know better. This is a poorly done fake that shouldn't fool a company like Finer Times. The fakes are getting better and better and some of the best are really hard to spot but not this one. Craig

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:42 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi again-I just wanted to thank you for the help. Per your suggestion, I now have a NOS Breitling 'Long Playing' from Old World Jewelers. Thanks for the "save."
Regards-
js

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

jsecunda wrote:
Hi again-I just wanted to thank you for the help. Per your suggestion, I now have a NOS Breitling 'Long Playing' from Old World Jewelers. Thanks for the "save."
Regards-
js

Congratulations - they are an exceptional company!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:13 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
awwww i like a good happy story. really pleased your first breitling exp turned out to be a good one.

well done roff.