The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:29 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
My husband has had this watch from new, would anyone be able to tell me roughly how
much it would be worth please?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Rostric on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Vintage aren't my speciality at all, but even so I can say that pictures and a fair bit more info will be required before Roff and a couple of the others can lend their expertise, I'm afraid.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:37 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Driver8 wrote:
Vintage aren't my speciality at all, but even so I can say that pictures and a fair bit more info will be required before Roff and a couple of the others can lend their expertise, I'm afraid.

Thanks Driver8.

Have managed to upload a few photos so hopefully someone can advise.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:38 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Rostric wrote:
Driver8 wrote:

Thanks Driver8.

Have managed to upload a few photos so hopefully someone can advise.

Excellent! :thumbsup:

I'm going to take a back seat now and let Roff and the other vintage gurus have a look.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Looks very nice.

It could be either a Venus 178 inside it, but it's more likely to be a Valjoux 7734. It looks like it dates from 1968 (serial number isn't terribly clear but looks to start 124xxxx - is that correct?).

The case, dial and hands look fine for a 2214, and a little sympathetic polishing on the case would do wonders.

In terms of value, these pieces are becoming more desirable and that's increasing the value somewhat, although I think that they are still value pieces. In this condition, and without any evidence of a recent service it's likely in the $800 - $1,000 range, with a service that probably increases to $1,000 - $1,200.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:26 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:
Looks very nice.

It could be either a Venus 178 inside it, but it's more likely to be a Valjoux 7734. It looks like it dates from 1968 (serial number isn't terribly clear but looks to start 124xxxx - is that correct?).

The case, dial and hands look fine for a 2214, and a little sympathetic polishing on the case would do wonders.

In terms of value, these pieces are becoming more desirable and that's increasing the value somewhat, although I think that they are still value pieces. In this condition, and without any evidence of a recent service it's likely in the $800 - $1,000 range, with a service that probably increases to $1,000 - $1,200.

Thanks for all the info Roffensian.

The serial number is 1241847

Dont know if it is a Venus 178 or a Valjoux 7734, can you tell me what difference this would make to the value please.

How would we go about polishing it?

The watch has never been serviced but is in full working order.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Rostric wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
Looks very nice.

Thanks for all the info Roffensian.

Dont know if it is a Venus 178 or a Valjoux 7734, can you tell me what difference this would make to the value please.

How would we go about polishing it?

The watch has never been serviced but is in full working order.

Venus or Valjoux wouldn't make much difference - Venus would add a few bucks maybe, but nothing significant - $100 or less. Valjoux is more likely (more common) but as this is fairly early the Venus is a possibility. A watchmaker can safely take the caseback off and a photo of the movement will soon tell what's inside.

In terms of polishing, I wouldn't have it machine polished because of the potential of damaging the markings on the back if it weren't done well - even something as simple as a rub with Sunshine or Cape Cod cloths (two brand names recommended on here) will get rid of the smaller swirls and make it shine - just make sure it's only on the steel parts!

I would be nervous about the watch without servicing - in fact I would strongly recommend that it not be wound. The oils in that watch are now 40 years old and will have broken down a long time ago - using the watch now is akin to driving a car where the oil is useless - it's increasing the wear on the movement and potentially causing (expensive) damage.

That said, if you are looking to sell the watch you won't get you money back from servicing ($400 or so), so you are better off selling it with disclosure that it needs a service and letting the buyer have the work done.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:40 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I will have to google the Sunshine/Cape Cod cloths (we are in the UK).

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:46 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Have had the caseback opened, the number inside is 7730, not 7734. Can you tell me what
that indicates please?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:14 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Rostric wrote:
Have had the caseback opened, the number inside is 7730, not 7734. Can you tell me what
that indicates please?

Hmm, interesting. It's a Valjoux movement for sure then. The 7730 was the base movement for the 773x range of movements and was only produced until 1967 when it was rebranded as a 7733 and 7734 came along as the first refinement of it. We obviously don't have to worry about the watch being right as your husband had it from new, so it means that this is a watch made from a movement produced earlier than the watch. No impact on price though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:25 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian wrote:
Rostric wrote:
that indicates please?

Hmm, interesting. It's a Valjoux movement for sure then. The 7730 was the base movement for the 773x range of movements and was only produced until 1967 when it was rebranded as a 7733 and 7734 came along as the first refinement of it. We obviously don't have to worry about the watch being right as your husband had it from new, so it means that this is a watch made from a movement produced earlier than the watch. No impact on price though.

Thanks again, great help.