The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:56 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello, My family purchased the following watch on eBay. I have always wanted an 806 and they were kind enough to buy this without any experience. They relied on the seller's reputation on eBay. My concern is that the case seems in excellent condition, the dial is okay, but the crown seems worn compared to the case. Can you let me know your thoughts if it all looks right? The person they bought it from is happy to handle a return and refund, but if it looks right I plan to keep it. Thanks in advance for your help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320323928944

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:07 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well, serial number dates it to 1967 based on the caseback. I think the caseback is genuine, but I also believe that the Breitling logo has been engraved later - this is often done in the misguided belief that it adds value.

The movement is a Venus 178, and the bridge engraving is correct, although the engraving on the balance cock is slightly unusual for a Breitling, which raises the possibility of a Breitling bridge on a non Breitling 178, though I'm by no means certain on that.

Tha hands are correct for a second generation Navitimer of this era, and the smaller subdials were still common in 1967.

The golden rule on slide rules after about 1963 is that there has to be some red on them, and there is in the form of a box around the 10. There are many variations on the slide rule, and this was one of them, but I'm not completely convinced that the outer slide rule dial is original, or even Breitling - the font looks slightly off.

The watch isn't perfect, and it may not have started life together, but for the price paid it's a nice piece.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:33 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thank you so much for the evaluation and sense that although not perfect, nothing stands out that would lead you to suggest I return it. A couple additional questions: The crystal on this watch is plastic and the crown seems overly worn (like it came from another watch). Can you recommend someone who has and can install an authentic replacement crystal and possiblly an original crown? I appreciate you helping me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:27 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
smtaylor wrote:
Thank you so much for the evaluation and sense that although not perfect, nothing stands out that would lead you to suggest I return it. A couple additional questions: The crystal on this watch is plastic and the crown seems overly worn (like it came from another watch). Can you recommend someone who has and can install an authentic replacement crystal and possiblly an original crown? I appreciate you helping me.

Yeah I saw the crown and almost mentioned it - it does look worn, but if it's original it would also be pretty worn - this is a 40 year old manual wind watch after all. The crystals were little more than plastic in these days, but they aren't hard to replace. We have a restorer among board members - chronodeco (Craig). I've not used him (yet), but I've seen evidence of his work and the quality and prices are exceptional - drop him a PM.