Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1809 Cosmonaute
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I've been looking for a Cosmonaute 1809 for a while and recently found this one. I think it's an early 1969/70 going by the black date and serial number 134XXXX
It came with box and papers and what looks like the original strap which is very worn so I've fitted a new one. It has the hatched out model number and restamped 1809 that I've seen before. It was confirmed on the forum that the rumour is Breitling ran out of casebacks so made do with what they had!

It's keeping good time so far :D

One question I have for the experts is about the crystal which is taller than on my 1806/1808. I had a search online and found some other 1809 with similar taller crystal. Did the 1809 come with a different crystal than the 1806/1808 or did they all vary according to year or supply?

Any other info about these watches very gratefully received.

Thanks

Attachment:
IMG_1849.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1850.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_1847.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: 1809 Cosmonaute
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:51 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 43 posts
Hi

Nice watch. I have come across plexi glass of different heights in large case chronomatics but I’m afraid I can’t shed any light on why. Possibly different production runs as you say.

Not sure about the age of your watch. The bezel suggests later than 1969 as is two tone. The early ones had all black bezels. Perhaps the bezel is a later replacement.

Do you know if it’s a cal 14 or a 24hr cal 11 inside?
Cal 11 would suggest its earlier with a replacement bezel and would work with the black date wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchTsar likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: 1809 Cosmonaute
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:36 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
wills0_9 wrote:
Hi

Nice watch. I have come across plexi glass of different heights in large case chronomatics but I’m afraid I can’t shed any light on why. Possibly different production runs as you say.

Not sure about the age of your watch. The bezel suggests later than 1969 as is two tone. The early ones had all black bezels. Perhaps the bezel is a later replacement.

Do you know if it’s a cal 14 or a 24hr cal 11 inside?
Cal 11 would suggest its earlier with a replacement bezel and would work with the black date wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I see what you mean about the all black bezels. I had a look at some 1809's on google and saw a mixture of bezels and date colours so is it possible there was a crossover period where they had black dates and two tone bezels? Or as you said it could have just been replaced.
I haven't checked what movement it has yet but will try and open the back. Serial number seems to suggests 1970.