The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:26 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 5 posts
Hi folks, new to the board and new to Breitling, some bear with my noobishness...

Picked up this Aerospace/Repetition Minutes off eBay, steal of a deal from what I can tell.

From my research I understand these were made on or after 1996 and that units that went into Breitling for service, if needed, had their movements and thus casebacks replaced.

I am assuming based on the numbers on the caseback:

E65062 - engraved, model number, indicating movement

"SQ" in caseback font

3423 - engraved on caseback opposite to the 6 position on the dial side in same font as above - from what I've read there is no 'decoding' of this number, and perhaps it is a part number.

From a dating perspective I can only conclude it was made on or after '96 and went for service sometime after that and had the movement swapped and therefore the caseback swapped. Are there any details I am missing that would give me a more definitive date on the service?

This watch did not come with service history, papers or box, as far as I can tell, it was an estate item that was being liquidated.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:27 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 13 posts
The first Chronolog I can find with the 65062 in, is the 1997 Chronolog 1. It was originally priced at £I,030.00 with a leather strap & £1,255.00 on the titanium professional bracelet. Dial colours were black and blue. By 1998 the dial options added were Titanium and Greenish-Grey I have the F65062 model I bought in 1998 as my first Breitling, which was overhauled in 2010, but without the SQ engraving. Perhaps if the movement was in reasonable condition, it was just serviced and didn't receive the SQ engraving? The four digit serial number is correct. it wasn't until later that five, six, & seven digit numbers were introduced.

scarecrow likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:51 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 5 posts
Thanks happy... makes sense.

I'm wonder at what year they ran out of original movements to use for service and went SQ - that would at least give me a year forward from that a service would have been done.

Pure curiosity, I'm chuffed with it either way.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
The SQ stands for super quartz. According to Breitling it's slightly a thicker movement which requires a different case back. If it doesn't have the SQ on the back it should not have a super quartz movement. Although, the last of the first generation size Aerospace's did have a super quartz movement already (E/F75362) without the SQ.

2 people like this post.