It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:36 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi Everyone

First time poster here!

I have been lurking around this forum, researching other online sources, reading articles etc. and have fallen in love with older breitlings.

I am looking for advice buying my first vintage piece, either from chrono24 or ebay. There are many older models i like but i have mainly seen them on pictures and not really in person. I am looking to spend max 3000$ on a piece, and naturally i want it in good working order, authentic condition, and dont want to get ripped of. It would be a general daily wearer that i would want to use both in my office and in a more casual setting, so a versatile piece would be optimal. I have a relatively slim wrist and feel that 35-40mm watches fit best

A few questions:

1) which model would you recommend for such a budget and criteria?
2) any obvious things to look out for to avoid getting a fake/franken watch?
3) Any other good advice is highly appreciated :-)

Thanks in advance

Regards
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:04 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
_MagnificentBastard_ wrote:
Any other good advice is highly appreciated :-)

The world of vintage watches is a minefield, and as a "newbie" you have two choices:

1. Research, research and research some more, or
2. buy from a trusted dealer or collector.

I hope this doesn’t turn out to be another clandestine advertisement for Poshmark.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:14 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
arcadelt wrote:
Any other good advice is highly appreciated :-)

The world of vintage watches is a minefield, and as a "newbie" you have two choices:

1. Research, research and research some more, or
2. buy from a trusted dealer or collector.

I hope this doesn’t turn out to be another clandestine advertisement for Poshmark.

'
Thanks for the advice. i am trying to do both. How much can chrono24 "trusted sellers" really be trusted? My impression is that one has to lookout for watches that have been redone as sellers rarely write this. But my impression is also that due to escrow it is more safe than e.g ebay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
Thanks for the advice. i am trying to do both. How much can chrono24 "trusted sellers" really be trusted? My impression is that one has to lookout for watches that have been redone as sellers rarely write this. But my impression is also that due to escrow it is more safe than e.g ebay

I wasn’t talking about those labelled as "trusted sellers" on Chrono24, but those sellers rated as trusted by reputation within the watch collecting community. Of course, you will pay a handsome premium for their status and advice.

In terms of the mass aggregator sales sites like eBay and Chrono24, both of those have their share of charlatans and good guys, and research is what is needed to tell who is who. Chrono24's "trusted seller" label is equally matched by eBay's/PayPal's buyer protection, so safety is reasonable on both. What I will say is that you are less likely to find a "diamond in the rough" on Chrono24 than eBay, but again research is what will allow you to identify a watch as a true "diamond".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:46 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
I can only recommend what I like...For less than 2k you can buy lots from Super Oceans to BlackBirds and for just around 3k you should be able to pick up a nice Navitimer. eBay is good IMHO and some of the best prices can be had from Japan. No affiliation other than I have bought from this seller...good place to start browsing anyway for ya....Also there are some finds on the For Sale page here on Breitling Source - just get to know the seller!!!!

closer0924 (8266)
99% positive feedback
https://www.ebay.com/usr/closer0924?_tr ... 2749.l2754

Good Luck!