Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Introducing myself
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:58 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 3 posts
Introduction:I acquired my 806 in summer of 1964 while stationed in Korea. I was a Captain, Aviator, in the U.S. Army 15th AVN BN, 1st Cav. division. Snug up against the DMZ. Saw pix of an 806 in Asian Time Magazine. Couldn't leave Korea but asked a vacationing Special Services Lady going to Hong Kong, if she saw one for sale buy it for me. She did! It's not been serviced, keeps perfect time. I would like to just replace the crystal. It is glazed and yellowed with age. Maybe dust off the face, gently. Afterwards, being 85 I would like to sell the watch adding funds to my family account. Watch was also with me during 2 combat tours in Vietnam, when I was shot down (receiving Distinguished Flying Cross and Purple Heart, 20 Air Medals, and weathered Typhoon Hester while Commanding 123rd Aero Scout Company.) This watch has been through a lot. A reliable companion its a real aviator's watch survivor.)

Any advice on acquiring replacement crystal, replacing of same, and dusting watch face is welcome. And, thank you for this Forum.

Col. Tom

Hunterfate likes this post.
 Post subject: Re: Introducing myself
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:23 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Col Tom. The crystal is a pretty easy replacement, but probably best done by a watchmaker if you haven’t done it before. I use a “Sternkruz M386” ( search Google) but others have reported using M388 - maybe some variance in bezel manufacture? Can find them online from many parts suppliers, but also here in the UK from Cousins and in the USA from Otto Frei. They are about $5.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:42 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thank you buddman, for the recommendation. I will try both suppliers.

How easy is it to get the bezel off to replace the crystal? Any special tools? I once saw a watchmaker simply insert a blade a pop in off?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
The bezel just pops off. This sounds like an amazing timepiece with some wonderful history! Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:27 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

THANK YOU. When I exert effort nothing occurs. Do you use some sot of blade to pry it off?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:29 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 185 posts
Use a case knife and go slowly around it. But perhaps best to have a watchmaker handle it?

buddman likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:27 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
Col. Tom,
Love to see some pictures Sir.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
buddman wrote:
Col Tom. The crystal is a pretty easy replacement, but probably best done by a watchmaker if you haven’t done it before. I use a “Sternkruz M386” ( search Google) but others have reported using M388 - maybe some variance in bezel manufacture? Can find them online from many parts suppliers, but also here in the UK from Cousins and in the USA from Otto Frei. They are about $5.

I'm stocking 384/386 & 388 to get a precise fit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 78 posts
What an amazing story.

I wouldn’t even think of replacing the crystal.
Collectors wants their watches as original as possible, and that goes for the crystal as well, even though it is yellowed, as that only adds to the patina.

Feel free to reach out to me if I can be at any additional help.

Kurt B http://www.kurt-b.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:11 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Getting some excellent advice and valuable information from this forum. Leaning towards not doing thing to my 806 which I have had since 1964 and seen me through a tour in Korea and two in Vietnam, 1000+ hours of combat helicopter tine and with me in all the crash, boom bang of Army Aviation, including being shot down, shot at, emergency landing and auto rotations and just like thousands of my peers didn't have sense enough to just consider it another day in the Army. I'm thinking of opening the back to get the serial # but that's about it. All advice considered especially a range in value. Might get a grand-kid through a semester or two.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:56 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 78 posts
Col Tom wrote:
Getting some excellent advice and valuable information from this forum. Leaning towards not doing thing to my 806 which I have had since 1964 and seen me through a tour in Korea and two in Vietnam, 1000+ hours of combat helicopter tine and with me in all the crash, boom bang of Army Aviation, including being shot down, shot at, emergency landing and auto rotations and just like thousands of my peers didn't have sense enough to just consider it another day in the Army. I'm thinking of opening the back to get the serial # but that's about it. All advice considered especially a range in value. Might get a grand-kid through a semester or two.

The watch itself does not have a high of value.
Vintage watches are solely being judged by condition and originality, your watch is from a superior point original, but unfortunately the condition clearly shows the insanity it have been through.
The full story and the watch together adds to the “package” value, but imho that value is highest among friends & family, people who have a relation to the owner - you . . . . ! !

If it could only speak, I can’t think of anybody or anything I would rather listen to, then your watch Col. Marshall.

With the deepest respect,

Kurt B http://www.kurt-b.com

vintage likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
From one Vietnam veteran to another, thanks for your service. I love patina watches with provenance and yours is outstanding. Thanks for posting.

buddman likes this post.