The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:24 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hey everyone. First time poster on these forums. I am acquiring a 1970 Navitimer Twin Jet from someone and wanted to know if you guys can give me a ball park value of the watch. I know vintage are a little tricky, and to complicate matters, this one has had a full 7 month restoration done in 2010. Dial, hands, crown, and pushers are all new. Everything was done at Breitling and so it’s all genuine and I do have the documentation for the restoration. It’s too late to undo the deal but for the future, an approximate value of the watch might help. I’ve looked everywhere and prices seem to be all over the place so I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:16 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 159 posts
NikoMos wrote:
I am acquiring a 1970 Navitimer Twin Jet from someone and wanted to know if you guys can give me a ball park value of the watch. I know vintage are a little tricky, and to complicate matters, this one has had a full 7 month restoration done in 2010. Dial, hands, crown, and pushers are all new. Everything was done at Breitling and so it’s all genuine and I do have the documentation for the restoration. It’s too late to undo the deal but for the future, an approximate value of the watch might help. I’ve looked everywhere and prices seem to be all over the place so I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!

It’s a tough call because of the restoration (or probably more correctly in this case, renovation). True vintage collectors would probably not touch this because it’s missing two of the three decision elements of collecting, those being provenance and (to a lesser extent) authenticity. However, more casual collectors might buy it because it is now an easy trouble free watch with a genuine "vintage vibe". I know this is not going to help you one bit, but the answer to your question is that the value is whatever you can secure a transaction at. That is why the prices of vintage watches are "all over the place".

I followed the sale of a similar watch a year or so ago, and while the seller was obviously getting frustrated that nobody would buy, in the end he concluded a transaction at what no doubt was a mutually agreed negotiated price. I think that is what you would find if you went to sell this on the open market.

Last edited by arcadelt on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:30 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
arcadelt wrote:
NikoMos wrote:
I am acquiring a 1970 Navitimer Twin Jet from someone and wanted to know if you guys can give me a ball park value of the watch. I know vintage are a little tricky, and to complicate matters, this one has had a full 7 month restoration done in 2010. Dial, hands, crown, and pushers are all new. Everything was done at Breitling and so it’s all genuine and I do have the documentation for the restoration. It’s too late to undo the deal but for the future, an approximate value of the watch might help. I’ve looked everywhere and prices seem to be all over the place so I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks!

It’s a tough call because of the restoration (or probably more correctly in this case, renovation). True vintage collectors would probably not touch this, because it’s missing two of the three decision elements of collecting, those being provenance and (to a lesser extent) authenticity. However, more casual collectors might buy it because it is now an easy trouble free watch with a genuine "vintage vibe". I know this is not going to help you one bit, but the answer to your question is that the value is whatever you can secure a transaction at. That is why the prices of vintage watches are "all over the place".

I followed the sale of a similar watch a year or so ago, and while the seller was obviously getting frustrated that nobody would buy, in the end he concluded a transaction at what no doubt was a mutually agreed negotiated price. I think that is what you would find if you went to sell this on the open market.

Well thats exactly it. I agreed on the trade because I knew it wouldn't be a project watch. I am the kind of person who would rather have a clean, non-beat up example so it doesn't bother me, but I know collectors wouldn't even look at it. I dont plan on selling it any time soon because the movement alone is very interesting, but was just wondering. Thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:29 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 3 posts
If it is any help, here is a quickie of my 0816 giant-size Twinjet, as far as I know original but well-used, for which I paid just shy of 2000GBP. Recently serviced but (importantly) not by Breitling.
I would expect yours to be way above that price!

Apparently, mine does not have the sort of patina that you can charge for. :lol:

Venus likes this post.