The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:41 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi, i am not used to forums i'm afraid and am not very technically minded. I would like to identify the breitling i have, it was my father in laws, and learn a little more about it. I do not have any way of posting a picture unfortunately, i see from the FAQ that a picture needs to be available on line. i do not have my own webspace. I believe the watch is pre 1970's . it has the following numbers on the rear of the watch 1278399 and 7650. If someone is happy for me to e-mail them pictures to id the watch i am happy to do that. I believe the watch was bought second hand and i am assuming it is genuine but again would like confirmation. Any help greatly received.
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:19 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

If it's any help, you could get a Photobucket account and then you could pop a picture on here - they essentially give you your own little bit of webspace that you can upload pictures to and then link to it on here.

HTH.

Actually, a quick google has thrown this up - is that it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

If you confirm that your watch looks similiar to this (it might have a different bezel) than you have a Breitling 1969 Co-Pilot. It was known as AVI before that and some people might still call it that.

Very nice.. I don't have one in my collection but I think I will some day..

Navi Old II (Valjoux 7750) LE Snowbirds (sold)
Tavannes 1942 Chronomat ref. 769 (Venus 175)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:23 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
AVI / Co-Pilot is a very nice watch, and way underappreciated in my opinion. Seen by too many as the poor relation of the Navitimer, but it really does stand on it's own as a great watch.

If you have digital photos of the watch the instructions for how to show them here using the Photobucket account that Sav mentioned are here - http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453

Post subject: Wow"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:57 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Wow, thanks for responding so quickly. I don't know where i was looking on google but i couldn't find anything. I am hoping i have followed the photobucket instructions properly and you will see the pics of the watch.Unfortunately the pics aren't too clear, sorry. i think it's great and as it was a gift from the family after my father in law passed away it is special for me. The dial is rather worn as you will see and the hands on the dials are different to those in the picture. Is that a strange thing? Does it hint at a copy or perhaps the watch being refurbished at some time? The button for starting the stop watch is rather stiff and i guess the watch could do with a service, i live in kent. What is the best way for me to find someone to service the watch, should i go to a registered breitling retailer? Sorry for so many questions but i'm excited at having discovered so much so quickly. Many thanks to all of you who responded so quickly.
Matt
Image Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Well first things first - it's not a copy, it's a very real watch based on what we can see. You will want to have the movement verified when it's serviced, but this looks fine to me. The hands are clearly replacements - this isn't unusual as hands were seen almost as consumable parts and were routinely replaced during servicing - the correct style aren't too difficult to find. The hour and minute may be original, but I don't think so.

I can't tell you who can help you in Kent (although I did grow up there - village outside Maidstone), but starting with a Breitling retailer isn't a bad place. You will pay more through a Breitling approved centre, and in theory any competent watchmaker can do the work, the challenge is getting access to the correct hands.

In terms of restoration, the choice is down to you - you can have it left as is, or you can have it restored to like new condition. Given the family history of the watch and the fact that the watch 'wears' that history, you may just want a thorough cleaning and polishing - you'll be surprised how much of a difference that makes.

It's a very nice watch, unfortunate circumstances that led to it coming into your possession, but a watch that you can be proud to own and wear after a little TLC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:00 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

There are a couple of places that sell Breitlings at Bluewater, if you're up that end of Kent like I am (The English Riviera ;))

Post subject: many thanks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:51 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks again for the info. I love the watch as it is and enjoy wearing it. I think i'll keep it to a 'clean and polish' as you suggest. My father in law chose it because he liked its' look, it would seem a shame to 'mess' about with it and looking at the original hands on the picture you showed, well funnily enough i think i prefer my version, but that's just me :-)
I really appreciate your interest and the info. I look forward to many more enjoyable years of using my Breitling, many thanks again guys. Respects to North Kent and Canada, both places i need a passport to get to from my little southern outcrop of England :-)