The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:42 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 14 posts
After getting no where with watchmakers I must side towards leaving the watch as found. I don't feel comfortable entrusting the watch to people that have no interest in what I want. I'm sure they must treat their regular customers better and hopefully will listen to them.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:17 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 42 posts
Firstly, maybe don't muck with it, it's got some raduim as you probably know.
If you are selling, often a buyer wants to have his own service done.

Beautiful watch!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:58 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

You folks have provided me with the ammo and the gun to be dangerous. But do I really want to shoot myself in the wallet? I agree with you as well - leave it alone. The commenters on this forum are more knowledgeable and I am willing to listen to good advice.

As far as Radium, I’m a geoscientist and have worked with radiologicals. I actually have quite a collection of natural radioactive materials. I’ve had watches with “hot” radium dials that hit >900cpm and one vintage pendant that is a glass vial lined with Radium so it would glow on the wearers chest. :shock:

On another note, others warned of inquiries. One dealer from Australia said he has found 7 of these in nice condition, including one never worn, each well under $10K. :roll:

I also located a period lizard band so at this point I may just have it repaired and keep it myself. A lot less trouble than the alternative.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

One of the pusher caps has some scrapes on it. At some point I would like to find an original replacement.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:07 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
Vintbreit wrote:
One of the pusher caps has some scrapes on it. At some point I would like to find an original replacement.

put the tools down. Walk back. Leave it.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:11 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

buddman wrote:
Vintbreit wrote:

put the tools down. Walk back. Leave it.....

No worries. Just thought I would buy one to keep with the watch. No intention of trying my hand at any repairs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:13 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

They’re actually quite hard to find. Can’t buy new anymore, so you’d be after a used one. To be fair, no one will care with such a lovely watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:23 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Good point. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:04 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
What was the outcome if there has been one as yet? I have a really really old 806 in similar cosmetic shape, except mine doesn't work. After looking at Horological Services' website I do not want to send it to them, because they say they'll update/replace/clean/etc. and specifically will NOT do just a minimal restoration of function. I don't want the appearance of the watch to be altered; I *like* the patina of age. I just want a mechanical overhaul of the beast so's I can actually use it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:10 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Good luck mrz80. Mine is still in a holding pattern. I have not found a watchmaker that will agree to keep it in original condition. If I ever do I will be happy to post it here as I am sure others need this service as well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:15 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Vintbreit wrote:
Good luck mrz80. Mine is still in a holding pattern. I have not found a watchmaker that will agree to keep it in original condition. If I ever do I will be happy to post it here as I am sure others need this service as well.

If you want to contact me I can help you out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:51 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Vintbreit wrote:

I just heard from Govberg. They referred me to Horological Services, quoting a letter they had from Breitling that asserted that

"All Breitling Vintage watches must be sent to our authorized vintage repair facility.
Horological Services
146 West Philadelphia Ave
Boyertown, PA 19512"

Given the Heists' policy on complete factory-new restoration of vintage watches, I'm reluctant to engage in what I'm afraid would be a fruitless conversation with them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:23 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

In my humble opinion, I think this is still pretty much a free country and you can send your watch to anyone you want. My ole watchmaker could have repaired it. He trained on these vintage pieces at the Bowman school and they had him training other students. I spoke with HS and got the same corpspeak. They wanted to do what they wanted to the watch. I have no doubt they are great mechanics but like antique furniture restoration which I have done for years, proper restoration work to retain original condition is a whole different ballgame. Refinishing can loose up to 80% of the value for some items. I am also quite sure they monitor forums such as these and have not refuted anyone's comments.

Dom87 likes this post.