Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:15 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hey everyone,

I’m Sheldon and I’m looking at purchasing my first Breitling watch. It’s a Navitimer 816 11525/67 in rough condition. I was hoping y’all could help me out on figuring out what it’s worth so I can make a fair offer. The watch winds fine and runs ok, I haven’t checked to see how far off it is though. The crystal is pretty scratched with one deep scratch on it. The back had been taken apart with what appears to be a tool not meant to take it apart and his initials are rough encribed in the back of the case. It’s missing the lower push button as well. I’ve been in aviation for 14 years and love the look of this watch and would probably use it when I go flying for fun. Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:59 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 364 posts
and shold be OK. Can do to much about the case damage - its on the caseback so you wont see it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 3:51 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I love the watch, I just need to know a good price to offer the individual so I’m not overpaying for something that’s needs work to get back it good condition. I’m thinking of offering a $1000 and go from there. Am I in the ballpark here on price? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
You'd be lucky to get it for $1k. The parts to fix these are still getable if you have the patience to wait for them to show up. It's got the wrong crown also (not enough teeth). I have a project 0816 I've been picking up parts for and have found new pushers, crown, stem, bezel, crystal and hands mostly off Ebay but also with the help of a few friends. If you ended up getting the watch for $1k I'd send it off to Horological Services and let them do their thing and expect a bill in the $1500-$2k range. The watch would be serviced with genuine Breitling parts and then you total investment would be on the low side value of a pristine piece. Decisions, decisions. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hmm decisions! Well I’ll talk to her and see what happens.
I would like to wear it on days I’m not flying. I’m a loadmaster in the Air Force, so I’m rough on watches.
I wouldn’t do a full restore yet, just a inspection/tune, button repair, and crystal polish. Full cosmetics can come later.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Shetlen wrote:
Hmm decisions! Well I’ll talk to her and see what happens.
I would like to wear it on days I’m not flying. I’m a loadmaster in the Air Force, so I’m rough on watches.
I wouldn’t do a full restore yet, just a inspection/tune, button repair, and crystal polish. Full cosmetics can come later.

I always like a watch that has some history and patina to it. I had quartz the entire time I was in the Air Force and didn't see the error of my ways until I'd been retired about 5 years. Even then my first Breitling was a quartz Chronospace. I still prefer quartz for a daily wearer (Aerospace mostly) but like the vintage mechanical pieces because they're just cool. Just get it a good service and replace the pusher cap and you should be good to go. Actually I would recommend the Aerospace as the watch to get and wear when you're flying. It's light weight and the titanium fits right in with the aircraft metal look.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:35 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I am now the proud owner of that beautiful watch! His daughter was more than happy with a $1000 knowing it was going to a good home. She retired from the Air Force in the 80’s as a Maj and her late father retired in the 70’s as a MSgt. He joined in 56’ and bought it new in 67’. She said he wore that watch everywhere. I’m super happy to have it and glad it’s got a good story with it. I’ll have it up in the air in no time!

I did just a quick polish and it’s looking amazing! Next it’s getting sent to Breitling to get inspected, new seals, and button cap replaced. If you look closely you can see where a few specks of water have dried on the inside, so those will need to get cleaned as well.

vintage likes this post.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I've got a couple of nos bezels. Since you're AF PM me your address and I'll send you one.

WatchFred likes this post.
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 48 posts
Shetlen wrote:
Next it’s getting sent to Breitling to get inspected, new seals, and button cap replaced.

Not sure sending it to Breitling is the best option. They tend to massacre a vintage watch with non-vintage parts even if you don't want them to. Much better to send it to an independent watchmaker, members would be able to recommend someone in the US to you.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:56 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Ok I’ll check that out, thanks.