Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Here is where I wrote about the beaded 765 bezels

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50565

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:12 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 15 posts
Dracha wrote:
Sorry but I never ‘presumed’ these bezels were for the all blacks , i have known (and posted about) these all black bezels having beads. Early all black bezels have small beads , late all black bezels have big beads

As mentioned before , these bezels are typically found on watches that have the small 15 minute counter and some were sold recently on ebay

If you read between the lines you could read that depending on the serial number and batch of watches that most likely your dial (with large 15 minute subdial) does not belong in this case but is a replacement dial *if* the serial number is indeed from this batch that has the ‘non dashed’ bezel and 989xxx serial, if it has this serial and bezel , and if both are correct the dial is from a later version watch or service dial

The Bezels on my watch and the others are NOT Beaded (like the all Black bezels) they are Fully Numbered but have a serrated edge like the Dashed bezel. This is the whole point of this Thread...

These Full numbered Serrated edge bezels are featuring on watches from 1964, mine has the latest serial number of the ones I have found and so therefore it makes sense that by this point in 1964 it would start to feature the larger 15 minute sub dial like other AVIs from 1964 and 1965.

I fully appreciate what you know Rene and have read all your articles many times but they do not feature this Fully Numbered and Serrated (Not beaded) edge bezel. The other responses above from others in the know also suggests this is something previously overlooked...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:24 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Re-posting this image again so you can see the Serrated edge of the bezel.

Attachment:
5F376C53-FC03-43F9-ACB9-05B376B21CFD.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
I know these are NOT all black bezels as all blacks have beaded bezels , and these (as you have stated) are ‘serrated’ , these ‘serrated full number’ bezels are from/early raquel 765’s with the smaller 15 minute subdials , i only mentioned the all black beaded bezels as you previously mentioned you thought full number bezels were for the all blacks

So , as I stated before , *if* your serial is correct and falls within the previously mentioned serial range the dial does not belong to this case as these dials, with the larger 15 minute counter subdial, were introduced later

The articles I wrote many years ago , they are not complete and i dont believe i ever pretended or said they were the final word on the subject. We have learned a lot more since then and i jsut never updated them , nor will i update them in the next 3-5 years as we’re sailing

I do know however that the transition you want validated didnt happen that way , but i am ok with it if you want to stick with your own opinion , just as i will stick with mine ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:30 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Dracha wrote:
I know these are NOT all black bezels as all blacks have beaded bezels , and these (as you have stated) are ‘serrated’ , these ‘serrated full number’ bezels are from/early raquel 765’s with the smaller 15 minute subdials , i only mentioned the all black beaded bezels as you previously mentioned you thought full number bezels were for the all blacks

So , as I stated before , *if* your serial is correct and falls within the previously mentioned serial range the dial does not belong to this case as these dials, with the larger 15 minute counter subdial, were introduced later

The articles I wrote many years ago , they are not complete and i dont believe i ever pretended or said they were the final word on the subject. We have learned a lot more since then and i jsut never updated them , nor will i update them in the next 3-5 years as we’re sailing

I do know however that the transition you want validated didnt happen that way , but i am ok with it if you want to stick with your own opinion , just as i will stick with mine ;)

You state and it is also known that the Larger sub dial is introduced in 1963 running through 1964. We also see AVIs from 1965 now as well. My watch is 989xxx serial number and therefore from 1964, so this dial does belong in my watch.

I wasn’t trying to Validate a particular transitional period I was merely presenting what I had found with regards to a bezel that many had said was previously overlooked.
I am yet to find any evidence of watches with this bezel that do not have 989xxx serial numbers therefore making them from 1964.
Yes the other examples I have found all have small Sub dials but they are also on watches from 1964 with 989xxx serial numbers, so even if we ignore the bezel on these watches they do not work on the timeline you state for the small and large sub dials which would mean they all should be 1962/early 63.
Unless all those other watches are wrong then with regards to the dial timeline it is my suggestion that possibly the small sub dials was used on all AVIs throughout its production 1962 - 1964. As previously stated larger sub dial comes in to play by 1964 and into the late AVIs we now see from 1965 ready for the introduction of the JCK.

With regards to this Fully Numbered Serrated bezel I do not dispute what you are saying as this was also my initial thought but I find it strange I can only find them on 989xxx 1964 watches. I appreciate that there may have been loose bezels available for sale but it would be a strange coincidence that all these ended up on 1964 watches. As I originally put in the beginning of this post I would love to see other examples that people may have to help clarify the production years.