The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:27 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I am hoping that some of you guru's of Breitling watches can help me ID my grandfathers old watch. It was given to me by my father a number of years ago and I have worn it just for special times but I am now interested in getting some more info on it. It was rebuilt by a watchmaker in Southern CA over 10 years ago but since that time has moved on so I have no point of contact for this watch. On the back it has 583728 and under it 790. I am attempting to upload some photos of it. Any info that you have would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:37 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
jshum8 wrote:
I am hoping that some of you guru's of Breitling watches can help me ID my grandfathers old watch. It was given to me by my father a number of years ago and I have worn it just for special times but I am now interested in getting some more info on it. It was rebuilt by a watchmaker in Southern CA over 10 years ago but since that time has moved on so I have no point of contact for this watch. On the back it has 583728 and under it 790. I am attempting to upload some photos of it. Any info that you have would be great.

I'll have to hit the books to try and find 790 - I'm not familiar with the model, and all I can find here in the office is 789 and 791 - I'll check this evening.

Serial number dates it to 1945, but I'll try and get more later.

Post subject: Photo one
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:39 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Post subject: Photo two
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:57 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Post subject: Works Great
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:58 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

All funtions on this watch work too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:18 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Wow!

Well I don't say this very often, but that is a very nice piece. I have a soft spot for the 40s, and while I can't find a picture of this specific model, it is completely consistent with the period.

The 790 is listed as a round case, round pusher chronograph with a 45 minute chrono, which is exactly what we have here. It should have a Venus 150 movement.

The dial is unusual for the period in that it has the print Breitling rather than the script. It's not unheard of, but is unusual for this period - it could be a replacement dial from the 60s - I have to believe that it was replaced / restored at some point, it's in amazing condition for a 60+ year old watch. The hands are likely not original because they were routinely replaced during service, and the sub dial seconds hand in particular is inconsistent with pieces of this era - although as I said I can't find pictures of this specific piece.

The hour and minute hands are consistent with the mid 40s, a lot of 7xx chronos had thinner hands without lume, but these are certainly not unheard of - there are a number of documented 40s catalogues showing these hands. They are more commonly associated with the chronomat but are not exclusive to that.

The pitting in the caseback should be addressed before it gets more serious, but shouldn't be too difficult - it doesn't look too bad.

In terms of value, well this is a family piece so this may be academic, but these pieces aren't particularly valuable - everone wants the Chronomats. With the history I would say $1,000 - $1,200, more if you have documentation. For insurance purposes you should be looking at $1,500 - $2,000.