The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:34 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I everyone, nice to meet you, and share the passion about watches and Breitlings. I have this Breitling, is in the family a while, it was from grandphater. Now is mine. I know is old, because it was from my grandphater, but i dont know more about the watch, and would like to know wich is the model, and anything about him. it´s in gold, and working well. It´s a wind clock. And that´s what i know. Can any one help me. Thank's :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:13 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Looks like an old Chronomat to me. I'm sure that Roff will tell you everything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not a chronomat, though I understand the comment - it is a similar look. The age is going to be difficult to get precise without a serial number, which is likely on the inside of the caseback.

The model is the number on the back - 3415 which isn't one I can place off the top of my head. I'll hit the books this evening and try and provide a more complete answer.

If you have the serial number that would be helpful, as would movement photos - but get a watchmaker to take the back off if you don't have the photos to hand!!

Post subject: Breitling ID
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:16 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
This one does not look "right" to me for several reasons. I will wait to see the movement and any other ID numbers before further comment. Craig

Post subject: Re: Breitling ID
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

chronodeco wrote:
This one does not look "right" to me for several reasons. I will wait to see the movement and any other ID numbers before further comment. Craig

Yeah I'm with you Craig - definitely some things that look out of place, although suggested provenance may be reassuring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:50 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi everybody, thanks for your kindness of helping me. Im afraid of opening the wacth but today i´m going to ask a friend that knows how to open and then hi will take pictures and notes of the number or marks. And also hi will ask my fhater if he knows anything about the watch, any restorations or anything. In fact myself look to the watch and the to small dials are color gold and the minutes and seconds are blue. Should´t they all be of the same color? thanks Roffensian, Chronodeco, Bnewbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Here's my update after some research.

As I indicated earlier, I have some concerns about this - and yes, the hands are one of them. They aren't always gold, on gold cases (although that's usual), but these hands don't look period or Breitling correct.

I also have some concerns over the reference number - I can't find it anywhere, although there are reference numbers that aren't terribly well documented so that in itself isn't an issue. The issue for me is that this is nothing like any chrono reference number of this era - without seeing the watch I would have expected a four digit reference number beginning with 3 to be a non chrono man's watch.

Finally, the dial itself is unusual for what appears to be a fairly early watch. The style of this watch is 1940s / 50s, but the Breitling on the dial is printed rather than script, which suggests a much later watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:32 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi there, today carfuly hi open the watch, and get surprised, because after open the back cap, there was another one. So the firt one is gold, and as some small number that later on my father said that would be of some repair that the watch have had. The inside cap says metal and has the number 3443. After removing the second cap, hi saw the machine. Didnt find, anything writen in it. Hi took some shot's of everything and some more thru a amplifier lens. So can any one help me, whit this new apdate? By the way i´m from Portugal. Thank's

Gold cap inside
second cap, metal cap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:46 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Well I'm sorry, but those pictures are the nail in this watch's coffin.

The inner caseback is completely inconsistent with Breitling - if mention were made of the metal then it would say stainless steel in French not 'Metal' in English.

The real killer though is the movement. If you've looked at the various topics in the vintage section then you'll see that it doesn't look like the movements that generally come up, and of course there is no mention of Breitling anywhere - not conclusive in itself, but not a good sign.

This movement is a Landeron 51 I believe, although chronodeco can likely confirm as I have little knowledge of Landeron because they were never used in Breitlings.

I'm sorry, but this watch has been assembled from parts at some point - it's not a genuine Breitling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:25 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hello, Roffensian, thanks for your help. It makes me a litle sad because i though that it was a genuine breitling, since it was from my grandfhater. So what is Breitling in this watch? the dial? what can i do to restaur it? Or dosen't worth it? I dont want to sell it, because of it belonged to my grandfhater ant the value is in the sentiment, but wich could be the value of the watch? Thank´s everybody

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:04 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hy there again, roffensian, since you talked about the movement Landeron, i did some research about Landeron and i saw many, and get an exact match,
http://www.joseph-watches.com/Paginas_X ... 024_xl.htm
funny this one has the movement the case is similar at mine, so in mine the thing that is wrong is the dial right? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I can't comment on the Dubey - no idea whether that is right or not.

I can't honestly say that anything on your watch is Breitling. I think the dial is a generic dial that has had Breitling added later - it's just the wrong logo style for the era of the watch.

In terms of value - not much, maybe $200 or so as a generic vintage watch. I would keep it as a sentimental piece but not spend too much money trying to restore it - you would still only end up with a collection of unmatched parts.

Just enjoy it for what it is - your grandfather's watch.

Post subject: 18K "Breitling"
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:43 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 19 posts
Too bad about this one but Breiting NEVER used this movement in this type of chronograph. It was most likely a Chronographe Suisse with a redone dial. Fake watches go back a long way. When I first started collecting about 9 years ago I bought and restored a lot of older Longines.
I found one on ebay that had 18K gold marks stamped on the back of the case and it was a great looking 37mm Longines. Won the auction and thought I got it for a good price but later found out that the movement was a Unitas and the case was brass. Never got my money back so it was an expensive lesson. The interesting this was that this fake had to have been made in the 60s or 70s giving the age of the parts and the antique look about it. There is a landmind of fake vintage watches out there and its getting harder than ever to spot the fakes. Craig