The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 24, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:02 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I own a Navitimer that I am interested in selling. I am in South Forida. How would I find out the market value for the watch-Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
bns60 wrote:
I own a Navitimer that I am interested in selling. I am in South Forida. How would I find out the market value for the watch-Thanks

Post some pictures and I'll give you my thoughts.

You can't really rely on places like eBay as it's difficult to compare apples to apples with all of the frankenwatches that appear there.

Additionally, the price for a 1952 Navitimer in mint condition is very different than a weather beaten 1968.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:17 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

roffensian
i was unable to post photos of the Navitimer so i sent the photos to your email address: info@roffensian.com.
I also gave you the history of my navitimer.
thank you in advance for your input
bns60

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

bns60 wrote:
roffensian
i was unable to post photos of the Navitimer so i sent the photos to your email address: info@roffensian.com.
I also gave you the history of my navitimer.
thank you in advance for your input
bns60

It'll likely be this evening before I can give you a detailed analysis and get the pictures up for everyone, but the fact that you have the full history and all the paperwork is definitely going to help the piece.

I'll give you some more complete thoughts and a price when I have more time to go through some comparables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:08 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Alright, here are the pictures of Bruce's watch:

Bruce said that he bought the watch 42 years ago. He's still working on the serial number to establish the exact date, but the watch is completely compatible with a mid 60s watch. I've said before when commenting on Navitimers that it's very difficult to put an exact date on them based on the look because items were in transition - red numbers on the slide rule had started to appear by around 1963 for example, but all black was still common.

Bruce said that it was serviced last year with the crystal being replaced - you can see the condition is good. A mid 60s Navitimer is a fine watch, but from a collectors standpoint it's nothing spectacular, but I think this one's a bit special. The watch is what it is, but this is one owner from new, still has the paperwork and still has the original bracelet (Bruce told me that he put a new bracelet on 20 years ago but kept the original).

A Navitimer of this vintage and in this condition, with the slightly more attractive (to collectors) AOPA wings is a $3,000 watch, and should fetch nearer $3,500 - especially with evidence of a recent service. With the history, documentation and the original bracelet that price goes up, but probably not hugely. I'll conservatively say $3,500 - $3,750, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it fetch more.

Bruce, if you choose to sell somewhere like eBay I would try and get some better qulity photos and I would make a big deal of the provenance, paperwork and service (include photos of the service receipt if you can - with personal information hidden).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:35 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

If you really want to try and get the most out of it, try Antiquorum. They auction off timepieces. The auction in New York is 4 times a year. They also do auctions worldwide. Check out their site and give them a call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:43 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

krlyuzh wrote:
If you really want to try and get the most out of it, try Antiquorum. They auction off timepieces. The auction in New York is 4 times a year. They also do auctions worldwide. Check out their site and give them a call.

Antiquorum is expensive though, and bidders discount because of the buyers premium. There is also the danger with 'normal' watches that they can get lost in among some of their specials - I nearly bought a Navitimer Airborne earlier this year that ended up selling for less than $2,700 - less than the same watch would likely fetch on the 'Bay where the audience for it would be less educated, but much larger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:04 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

roffensian
Thank you for your quick response and the information.
I will get the serial # next week, but I now have a idea of the value of the watch. I was online yesterday and Googled 'Vintage Breitling Navitimer'. I saw prices from $4,500-$5,800. My Navitimer is in excellent shape.
Does having the original stainless steel band as an extra band give it greater value?
I will sell the original band seperately if anyone is interested.
Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

bns60 wrote:
roffensian
Thank you for your quick response and the information.
I will get the serial # next week, but I now have a idea of the value of the watch. I was online yesterday and Googled 'Vintage Breitling Navitimer'. I saw prices from $4,500-$5,800. My Navitimer is in excellent shape.
Does having the original stainless steel band as an extra band give it greater value?
I will sell the original band seperately if anyone is interested.
Thanks again.

The $4,500 - $5,800 you saw was retailer prices, I was quoting you auction pricing - which is more realistic for what you'll get. There's isn't much chance that mid 60s pieces are selling for $5k plus in steel. If it was a 1952 in gold we are talking a very different story - not all Navitimers are equal.

As I indicated, the original bracelet makes the watch more saleable, but not necessarily that much more valuable. You may do better selling it separately depending on condition - presumably there was a reason that you took it off 20 years ago, and if that was because it was wearing out then it isn't going to be worth that much to another buyer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:57 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Roffensian- in one of your posts you wanted the serial # to get a more accurate time period on my Navitimer.
the Serial # is 990190.
I am still looking to sell it. If anyone has an interest please let me know. I live in South Florida.
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

bns60 wrote:
Roffensian- in one of your posts you wanted the serial # to get a more accurate time period on my Navitimer.
the Serial # is 990190.
I am still looking to sell it. If anyone has an interest please let me know. I live in South Florida.
thanks

Well that would be 1964 then :wink:

Post subject: 1964 Navitimer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:43 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

roffensian
thank you for your quick response.
Since I just serviced it and had the crystal replace, I believe my navitimer is in "very good to excellent" condition. i would appreciate your opinion on the what the wholesale and retail value would be.
thanks

Post subject: Re: 1964 Navitimer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:09 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

bns60 wrote:
roffensian
thank you for your quick response.
Since I just serviced it and had the crystal replace, I believe my navitimer is in "very good to excellent" condition. i would appreciate your opinion on the what the wholesale and retail value would be.
thanks

Well a couple of months ago I said $3,500 - $3,750 and prices have continued to firm up so that's a solid floor. There is a demand for these pieces so if you wanted to hold out then sooner or later you could probably get $4,000 plus.

If I were a dealer I would probably list if for $4,750 or so, but a number of the European dealers on Chrono24 are somewhat more hopeful than that!!

Of course the recent economic uncertainty may well impact these watches - if not suppressing prices immediately then potentially removing some buyers from the market which is going to have some effect if it lasts for an extended period.