It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Breitling Cronomat 1948.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:23 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello,

I believe this watch to be circa 1948. I wondered if anyone could give me some more information on it and possibly a value. The watch is in good working condition and only has minor scratches on the back.

Image (alt+p)

Image (alt+p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
1946 actually :lol:

Chronomats are nice watches - somewhat overshadowed by the later Navitimers, but very attractive watches in my mind. The watch was introduced in 1942, but 1946 and later is when you start seeing them all as very few were produced during the war years.

The cross and 217012 on the front is a reference to the Swiss patent number for the bezel mechanism.

Th major hands on this watch look period correct, but I'm not 100% sure about the subdial hands, I think that they are replacements.

Obviously can't comment on the movement without seeing it, but assuming that it's correct this is a very nice watch.

I would give it a little bit of sympathetic restoration - at least a clean of the dial and a polish of the crystal, but others appreciate the original state. In terms of value - if the movement is right then this should be in the $3,000 - $4,000 range - potentially nearer the top end of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:09 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks so much for your thorough and informational reply. I had the back taken off by a local horologist and he said that it appears to be the original 17-jewel movement. He did note that one of the pushers was not functioning properly.

Attached is an image of the movement. Would you suggest that my best outlet for selling this would be Ebay?

Much appreciated,
Kristy

Image (alt+p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Kristy wrote:
Thanks so much for your thorough and informational reply. I had the back taken off by a local horologist and he said that it appears to be the original 17-jewel movement. He did note that one of the pushers was not functioning properly.

Attached is an image of the movement. Would you suggest that my best outlet for selling this would be Ebay?

Much appreciated,
Kristy

Image (alt+p)

Looks like a nice clean Venus 175.

Slightly unusual to see the engraved bridge this early, especially with Premier as well and I can't see whether WOG is engraved on the movement (likely the balance cock), but wouldn't be surprised to see it.

The movement is definitely correct period for the watch - later movements had a different layout of retention screws.

In terms of place to sell, if there aren't any takers here then yes, eBay id probably your best bet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:59 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks again for all your help in identifying this watch and movement. I'm very interested in selling it and will likely go ahead and post it on e-bay after the weekend. Unless of course... anyone on here would like to buy it. :D