The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Can't believe what people try and get away with. Looks like a circa 1930's Breitling case (maybe). Definitely has a later dial and a Venus 188 movement that was manufactured from 1948-1966. The 21 jewel version I believe came along much later in the production process, like maybe late fifties to ealry sixties. And we won't talk about it having a 'B' crown. That's laughable. The hands aren't close to being correct. Notice how they don't seem to reach to the markers. Just goes to show how you need to know your facts when dealing with vintage pieces. I suspect this one probably came out of South America and now the guys trying to get his money back after realizing he's been duped. I could have sworn I saw this watch on Ebay before from a South American seller but not 100% sure. Let's be careful out there! :)

Paul

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120297228023&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Last edited by vintage on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
vintage wrote:
Can't believe what people try and get away with. Looks like a circa 1930's Breitling case (maybe). Definitely has a later dial and a Venus 188 movement that was manufactured from 1948-1966. The 21 jewel version I believe came along much later in the production process, like maybe late fifties to ealry sixties. And we won't talk about it having a 'B' crown. That's laughable. The hands aren't close to being correct. Notice how they don't seem to reach to the markers. Just goes to show how you need to know your facts when dealing with vintage pieces. I suspect this one probably came out of South America and now the guys trying to get his money back after realizing he's been duped. I could have sworn I saw this watch on Ebay before from a South American seller but not 100% sure. Let's be careful outhere! :)

Paul

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120297228023&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Well he does say it's rare..... :roll:

Haven't seen this one before myself, but it does look like the sort of thing that was coming out of South America. Unfortunately a lot of the South American ones are getting better - I guess they are learning what they are supposed to look like and trying to match that.

It really is a minefield on eBay.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
Well he does say it's rare..... :roll:

Haven't seen this one before myself, but it does look like the sort of thing that was coming out of South America. Unfortunately a lot of the South American ones are getting better - I guess they are learning what they are supposed to look like and trying to match that.

It really is a minefield on eBay.

I emailed him so will be interesting to see what he says, if anything.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I did get an email back from the seller. As I suspected he bought the watch from a Turkish seller a few years ago on ebay. I knew I'd seen it before somewhere. Suggested he change his ad to something that would let a potential buyer make up his own mind as to whether the watch is genuine or not. Even frankenwatches on ebay can be useful for parts if you know what you're doing and they're not too expensive.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
Great memory, Paul! Interesting post to read too! :) I like that every time I open the vintage section I learn something new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
vintage wrote:
I did get an email back from the seller. As I suspected he bought the watch from a Turkish seller a few years ago on ebay. I knew I'd seen it before somewhere. Suggested he change his ad to something that would let a potential buyer make up his own mind as to whether the watch is genuine or not. Even frankenwatches on ebay can be useful for parts if you know what you're doing and they're not too expensive.

Paul

That's an impressivce memory!!

Post subject: Gads......another one.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Pretty funny how another one shows up from Turkey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BREITLING-MOVABLE-LUGS-CHRONOGRAPH-1950-AMAZING_W0QQitemZ120302290153QQihZ002QQcategoryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:43 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
LOL - they should probably have an ebay store that says

"Customised Breitling vintage watches - guaranteed unique and RARE!
We have all the parts*, from 1920s to 2008, mixed and matched as you please!

* for the 10,000 times, we do not supply electronic/wireless parts to remote control your TV, make phone calls, or to be used as spy cameras."

vintage wrote: