The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
What are the vintage experts views on the "Aviation" watches made by Ollech and Wajs from Breitling parts sourced when Breitling went into liquidation in 1980? These Aviation watches are identical in terms of size, case, dial, hands and movements as the original pre-1980 Breitling's - the only difference being a lack of the Breitling name on the dial - so I was just wondering how they are viewed by vintage Breitling aficionados. Are they considered a part of Breitling's history, or nothing more than vaguely approved frankenwatches?

Just asking as I have a chance for a NOS Aviation Chrono-matic for £900, and I really like the look of it, but I'm just not sure.....

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Driver8 wrote:
What are the vintage experts views on the "Aviation" watches made by Ollech and Wajs from Breitling parts sourced when Breitling went into liquidation in 1980? These Aviation watches are identical in terms of size, case, dial, hands and movements as the original pre-1980 Breitling's - the only difference being a lack of the Breitling name on the dial - so I was just wondering how they are viewed by vintage Breitling aficionados. Are they considered a part of Breitling's history, or nothing more than vaguely approved frankenwatches?

Just asking as I have a chance for a NOS Aviation Chrono-matic for £900, and I really like the look of it, but I'm just not sure.....

I'm not sure that there is a consensus out there.

When it comes to Wakmann (the 'American Breitling' assembled in the states from kits sent by Breitling to beat the import ban) they always command lower prices than something with Breitling on the dial, which likely suggests less appeal.

O&W is a slightly different story though as they were not really connected to Breitling, they just swept up the pieces left over. As watches, they are essentially Breitlings so there's no reason why the quality should be any less than Breitlings at the end of the 70s. Bear in mind though that as companies get into financial trouble they start cutting costs wherever they can - I'm not aware of quality problems with late 70s Breitlings (although it's not my sweet spot era), but something to bear in mind.

As items of value, clearly less than the same watch with the Breitling name, but that's to your advantage as a buyer. At the end of the day, if you like it - buy it, you won't get a NOS Breitling Chronomatic for GBP900! If some people think it's a 'poor man's Breitling' - so what!

So in summary to your specific questions - I don't see them as frankenwatches, they aren't trying to be something that they are not, and undoubtedly they are connected to Breitling's history - maybe not as closely as Wakmann, but still part of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I think they're good looking watches and would consider one myself except they're usually priced like a Breitling. At a close price I'd rather have the Breitling instead of having to answer "is that a Breitling?" questions all day. :wink:

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Cheers gents! :thumbsup:

Pros and cons either way I guess. Two very good points though - Roff mentioning the possible reduction in quality control before Breitling went under, and Vintage mentioning having to answer "is that a Breitling?" questions all day.

I'll still think about it.

Site Moderator