The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:25 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
This is the watch that originally led me to this forum. My Wakmann which from all the info I could find, is a rebranded Breitling.
I asked about this in the early days of the forum when it was basically just me and admin and he doesnt know much about vintage.

Now that we seem to have an expert for sorts (wink wink Joseph) I'm hoping someone can delve a bit deeper into what this watch actually is, as info on old scarce watched is well... scarce.

Story behind this: my dad worked at a nursing home for a bit, and an elderly patient he became close with bequithed him his watch collection. My father passed this onto me. I dont know anything about it expect that Wakmann had some connection to Breitling (I've managed to find on ebay watches that are branded both Breitling and Wakmann and also models of Breitling that are identical but rebranded Wakmann). I've never seen another model like this one however. I guesstimate its from the 70's though.

The back simply says:
20 ATU
All Steel
Swiss Made
314 13

This was a bitch to get a clear photo of as I have a crappy camera so it looks darker than it actually is. I had to fiddle around with the lighting and aperture settings to get it not to turn out blurry. The second and third pics are blurry but show it correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Wakmann was the US importer of Breitling watches from I think the fifties until the early seventies. My 1969 Breitling brochure has a Wakmann contact address. Wakmann imported both their own line of watches labled Wakmann and also were the US distributor for Breitling during that period. Your watch I haven't seen before and I would conclude that it's most likely from the mid sixties to early seventies and probably has the Valjoux 7736 movement inside. You can look at the hands and compare them to the equivalent Breitling hands and estimate the age of the watch. Looks like a nice piece!

Paul L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:27 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Hi Jojo,

Very nice piece and it looks like Paul, our resident vintage Breitling expert, has answered your inquiry. I couldn't have said it better! Thanks for posting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:27 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks guys, appreciate it. The strap isn't original though and its too small for my wrist. What kind would you recommend I replace it with?
Just going for opinions here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Well, since this is a very sporty looking piece, I would love to see a perforated leather racing strap on it. You can easily find these on Ebay in various colors. Since you have a great looking blue dial on this piece, I would suggest a dark blue strap to match. If you get one, don't forget to post photos!