The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:53 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello, I wondered if anyone can help me, I have been left a Breitling chronomat 808 model 18ct gold, it was valued some 15 years back and was dated at the time as 1956. The series number is 217012. Can anyone tell me if the date is correct and a current value, unfortunately I do not have the original strap, apart from this it is in great condition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:20 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
217012 isn't the serial number, that's the number of the swiss patent for the bezel mechanism.

If it's a 1956 the serial number (which may be in the caseback) will be six digits starting 88 or 89.

I'll check the guides for a price - gold maybe harder to find as most of the prices are for SS, but I'll see what I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:40 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

OK, so first the disclaimer - I haven't seen any pictures so I'm operating blind, but here we go....

1956 seems a little early for an 808, but not necessarily wrong - let's get the serial to be sure. The gold 808 is variant 808/5 and is powered by a Valjoux 7735 or a Venus 175, making it a two register chronograph with subs at 3 and 9. It will have round pushers and the 217012 along with the swiss cross will be on the case back, not the dial.

In terms of value, for gold - with a service history I'd guess $3,500 - $4,000. Don't hold me to that because the gold is throwing the number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:45 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Hi Roffensian many thanks for getting back with a reply so quick I have some images I can email to you I have just discovered that I cannot upload them here as they are only my computer. I dont know how to take the case off the back safely (any tips) to get the serial number .[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:23 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Grace Kelly wrote:
Hi Roffensian many thanks for getting back with a reply so quick I have some images I can email to you I have just discovered that I cannot upload them here as they are only my computer. I dont know how to take the case off the back safely (any tips) to get the serial number .[/img]

Take a look at this post as to how to post pics - http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=453

As far as taking the case off I have a very simple tip - take it to a Breitling AD and ask them to do it :lol:

I gather from your post that you don't have much experience taking casebacks off and while it isn't difficult for the snap on backs we don't want you starting on a gold one!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:56 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

I have eventually successfully loaded a picture of my watch links below

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:01 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I stand by what I said before - I didn't do bad describing it did I :lol:

I think you'll find that one of those pushers is a replacement as well.

It needs some TLC, up to you whether you want a full restoration or just a sympathetic 'recovery' that retains the aged look - there is a market for both. At the very least it needs a good clean, and likely also a service. In this condition, considering the pusher I'll stick around $3,500 in terms of value, considering the recent gold price increase (although that doesn't always translate into watches). I may be a little high there as is - but with a restore and a service you are definitel in the $4k range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:03 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
Very nice and rare piece in 18K. This one is worthy of sending to Mark Heist for a full restoration. Might cost a little bit but the results will be worth it.

Paul